Friday, March 7, 2008

dtas74: MY SOUL IS IN THE MAIL


I make a lot of awesome mix tapes -- here's the latest:

1. Stuart Davis - "Rock Stars and Models"
Recommended if you like bombastic pop music, like "Deity Freak" from his new album "Something Simple" (which I reviewed in the Duluth Budgeteer News).

2. Gnarls Barkley - "Run" (radio edit)
R.I.Y.L. anything else Danger Mouse and Cee-Lo have cooked up together. (That is to say there are no surprises here ... though this song's video getting banned from MTV is somewhat surprising.)

3. Cloud Cult - "Everybody Here is a Cloud"
R.I.Y.L. subdued indie rock, like Rogue Wave's latest turn.

4. The Mother Hips - "Time We Had"
One of my "Rock Band" favorites.

5. Lansing-Dreiden - "Our Next Breath"
R.I.Y.L. the Who's theatrics, Arcade Fire's sense of place.

6. Giljunko - "My Soul's in the Mail"
R.I.Y.L. every Mark Lindquist project, because you're cool like that.

7. Sage Francis - "Makeshift Patriot" (live)
R.I.Y.L. lines like "Who would Jesus bomb?"

8. Nine Inch Nails - "3" (from "Ghosts I")
R.I.Y.L. Download, PlatEAU, artists maturing.

9. Atmosphere - "Don't Know How Much"
R.I.Y.L. P.O.S., Suicide Girls.

10. Self - "Joy, The Mechanical Boy"
R.I.Y.L. knowing that Matt Mahaffey exists.

11. Weezer - "No Other One"
R.I.Y.L. ... come on, who doesn't like "Pinkerton"?

12. R.E.M. - "Supernatural Superserious"
R.I.Y.L. a brilliant return to form.

13. The Superfantastics - "Turn on Me"
R.I.Y.L. being a small-town art fuck (that's no fun).

14. Hayden - "Where and When"
R.I.Y.L. PJ Olsson.

15. "The Butters Show" theme song (from "South Park")
R.I.Y.L. the musical genius of Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

16. Ol' Dirty Bastard feat. Method Man - "Dirty Dancin'"
R.I.Y.L. hip-hop. You like hip-hop, don't you?

17. Enon - "Mr. Rat-A-Tat" (Daytrotter vers.)
R.I.Y.L. whatever Walt Dizzo tells you to listen to!

18. Wang Chung - "Dance Hall Days"
R.I.Y.L. "Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion" (that's where I found this gem).

19. What Made Milwaukee Famous - "Sultan"
R.I.Y.L. fake Cream City rockers.

20. Transplants - "Doomsday"
R.I.Y.L. Gnarls Barkley, Rancid's sunnier sides.

21. Faces - "If I'm Late on the Side"
R.I.Y.L. classic rock. (Come on, just admit it already, you jaded fuck!)

22. Roy - "The Bolivian Army Lays Siege to Seattle"
R.I.Y.L. some of the best music on this here planet.

23. Look Down - "We've Got the Same Number"
R.I.Y.L. the Plastic Constellations, other MPLS indie rawk.

24. Crooked Fingers - "Mansion on the Hill" (Bruce Springsteen cover)
R.I.Y.L. songs to waste gasoline to.

Thus concludes "Don't Tell a Soul" program 74.

No comments: