Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 30.5: A Beginner's Guide to the Chemical Brothers [WIP]

I'll agree; the title of this awesome mix tape is a bit of a misnomer -- as the true "beginner's guide" to the undisputed kings of techno* is actually their premium collection, "Singles 93-03."

Anyway, the reason for this here awesome mix tape is actually twofold: A) It's my little way of honoring the greats before their next life-altering, mind-expanding masterpiece, "We Are the Night," drops July 17 and B) upon quite enjoying the two Noel Gallagher collaborations I put on an Oasis odds 'n' sods mix tape for Suoja (an avid Oasis fan), he wanted to hear more.

Being the nice co-worker I am (and quite the obsessed mix tape master I also am), I happily volunteered my time.

One final note: The accompanying artwork is a tribute to the Brothers' landmark '97 album, "Dig Your Own Hole"** -- which I concocted back when I lived out west. It may also look familiar because I previously "issued" a variant of it as cover art for DTAS11, "Mark Mallman Rules, OK?"

p.s. For the uninitiated, I've linked to places you might hear these nuggets for the first time.

1. "It Began in Afrika"
2. "Setting Sun" (feat. Noel Gallagher of Oasis)
3. "The Golden Path" (feat. the Flaming Lips)
4. "Block Rockin' Beats" (radio edit)
5. "Galaxy Bounce"
6. "Hey Boy Hey Girl"
7. "Galvanize" (feat. Q-Tip)
8. "Denmark"
9. "Under the Influence"
10. "It Doesn't Matter"
11. "Left Right" (feat. Anwar Superstar)
12. "Come with Us"
13. "Get Up on It Like This"
14. "The Boxer" (feat. Tim Burgess of the Charlatans UK)
15. "Marvo Ging"
16. "Asleep from Day" (feat. Hope Sandoval of Mazzy Star)
17. "Pioneer Skies"

Agree? Disagree? Call on me at mperrine [at] duluthbudgeteer [dot] com.

*
Or whatever the (John Deere) the "P.C." way to refer to the group's genre is these days....
**AKA when and where I got on the "Bros. bandwagon."

No comments: