Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 9

OK, I've been sitting on this mix tape for far too long (no, it hasn't hatched...). I would like to provide a track-by-track preview of the new Low album before it's "old news," so I must shoulder through this. (The accompanying photo is an outtake from the "Discover Duluth: Congdon Park" outing Jan. 1.)

1. Weezer - "American Gigolo"
I like the way this song makes its presence known. And "Keep on / Keep on" crawls under your skin (in the most delightful way possible).

2. Ash - "Won't Be Saved"
This wasn't necessarily a "new" direction for Ash, but from them, that's A-OK. At least they're not regressing to the sound of their first album.

3. R.E.M. - "Leaving New York"
I think I was too harsh on the "Around the Sun" album when it was released in '04. This is a damn (same-y) good song. They may suffer from the "Ash disease," but at least they're keeping the botched rapper collabs to every 13 years. (Ha!)

4. The Amps - "I Am Decided"
For the longest time, I was putting up with a scratched-to-[expletive deleted] copy of "Pacer." What the "H" is wrong with me? This is probably the best song to be released in '95. (Yes, it appears I'm stuck in a time warp tonight.)

5. Beulah - "Gene Autry"
Know what's funny? I know this song was used on NBC's craptastic "Friday Night Lights." You see, I have this disorder that forces me to keep a muted TV on when I'm listening to music (and alternately piss off hippies, but that's another story all together). Anyway, I glanced over one evening and my CC bug was buzzing about this song being featured when some hokey actors were driving around in a truck. Strange, innit? (Full disclosure: My "Beulah Saves" T-shirt is one of my prized possessions and, similarly, I like bragging about interviewing Miles for one of my desktop publications.)

6. The Rentals feat. Petra Haden - "Keep Sleeping"
I purchased "Seven More Minutes" sometime in high school. While the year's uncertain, I know it was a Circuit City in Las Vegas -- of all places. It was great. I had a lot of Christmas money, and I didn't want to go to the mall, so I got dropped off with a mission: Blow all of it. It was something like $150, so I loaded up on the Rentals' two albums, the Clash's entire catalog and Steely Dan's "Can't Buy a Thrill." It was bliss.

7. Track Star - "Something to Do"
These guys are really terrific. Kind of a subdued approach, like Death Cab, but definitely more "rock" in these guys' diets.

8. Air - "Surfing on a Rocket"
I really, really wish the teenaged version of me -- the one that so "adored" White Zombie -- could look in at me now, enjoying the subtle nuances of France's Air.

9. Gay Dad - "Joy!"
With this song, the ! is actually warranted. (And, not that anyone cares, but this is a front runner for appearing on highest number of my mix tapes. Just this song, too, because I can't for the life of me remember anything else Gay Dad did.)

10. The Sights - "Scratch My Name in Sin"
I feel so stupid. When the Sounds' new album came out, I was super-excited because it was getting rave reviews and I LOVE this song and this album. But -- oh yeah -- this is the Sights. People have got to be more creative with their band names....

11. J Church - "Where the Trains Go"
The first time I heard J Church was on "Honest Don's Welcome Wagon," a compilation I found in the bargain bin at a Fargo pawn shop. Isn't that sad? The bargain bin at a pawn shop? Anyway, "Alone When She Dies" blew me away. I didn't get that feeling again from J Church until I ran across the "One Mississippi" album and this track. It's amazing.

12. KRS-One - "Let 'em Have It"
Hey, he survived his R.E.M. collab. Do you think Q-Tip can survive his?

Just kidding, "Galvanize" with the Chemical Brothers (and, now, beer commercials!) has changed my life. On a number of occassions.

13. Goldfrapp - "Strict Machine (Sasha's We are Glitter Mix)"
This is hot. I know dorky journalists can't say that, but I did. Please don't take away my access to a keyboard.

14. Prince - "Kiss"
This is hot too. (See, I'm unstoppable!)

15. Sloan - "Keep on Thinkin'"
If only everyone else in the entire world knew how much Sloan means to me, then I wouldn't have to put them on every single mix tape.

16. The Rakes - "22 Grand Job"
Another faceless (pretty much nameless too) member of the latest British invasion, but, per usual, it's really catchy. Undeniable fun, just undeniable faceless fun.

17. Sunday's Best - "The Try"
Who are these guys? Seriously, how did they get on my mix tape? It's pretty good, but there's no saying where I found it. A pickle, for sure.

18. Steely Dan - "Peg"
Of course, this selection was inspired by Best Friends Forever's masterful telling of this ancient fable at Diorama-rama 2.

Right, that was a while ago now....

19. Chris Smither - "Origin of Species"
Funny stuff. This sounds like a Charlie Parr knockoff, but it comes highly recommended by Rolling Stone. (And that's the first time I've said that since ... ... ... ever?)

20. Violent Femmes - "Out of the Window"
Straight outta Milwaukee. I always get a kick out of these guys, especially after I heard they played a show in a University of Minnesota Twin Cities parking ramp. Yeah!

21. Maximo Park - "Once, a Glimpse"
Oh, hey, remember what I was saying about nameless, faceless Brit acts? Here's another. Similarly fun, though, so it warrants inclusion.

22. Pushover -"Pitiful"
Rising from the tortured* ska ashes of Mealticket comes this wonderful project ... that's probably already ashes itself now. Considering my record collection is scattered throughout time -- and what's "new" to the bargain bins of America isn't necessarily new-new. Yadig?

23. The Kickovers - "Fake in Love"
Similarly, this group was founded by a former member of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Desptie somehow owning two of their records, I kind of hate that band -- so I'm glad I didn't possess this information when I picked up the Kickovers' excellent "Osaka" from Cheapo in Moorhead a year back.

24. Everclear - "Pennsylvania is..."
Wrong.

Hey, do you remember when Everclear actually mattered? Everything Art did before "So Much for the Afterglow" was great -- especially Colorfinger's "Deep in the Heart of the Beast in the Sun," which I possess an original** copy of. Don't get me wrong; there were moments of greatness until the last two albums (like "Local God"), but the man just kind of fizzled, no?

*OK, not really. Poetic, though, isn't it?
**I hope, anyway.

No comments: