Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 8: Best of Beaner's

Since 2001*, Beaner's Central has been releasing live CDs. And, save for 2005, I've collected 'em all: "Best of 2001" and volumes one through three of "One Week Live." ("Cover art" taken at Congdon Park New Year's Day for an upcoming installment of my "Discover Duluth" photo essay series in the Budgeteer.)


Here's the best of what I've found:


1. Mr. Lindquist - "In Addition"
This guy never gets old.

2. Black-eyed Snakes - "Honey"
Sublime Moby cover.

3. Pete Ekstam - "The Lines"
I like this song, I do, but its inclusion is more of an "I'm sorry for the infamous review of Onatangent's last show in The Statesman" kind of gesture.

4. Black Labels - "Unknown"**
This is really cliche, but this sounds like it was beamed to Beaner's from the great Quentin Tarantino jukebox in the sky -- although I really don't think anyone involved in this comparison is dead.

5. Father Hennepin - "John's Song"
This is good, real good. I should probably get these guys' album.

6. Haley Bonar - "Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy"
Sadly, no Big & Rich cover here.

OK, kidding ... that's the last thing I need: "That dork from the Budgeteer hearts the country/rap exploitation of little people."

7. Martin Devaney - "Landlord's Daughter"
According to the Wiki Monster, Martin Devaney is a footballer currently playing for Barnsley F.C. Wait a second....

(I hate it too. The most popular Matt Perrine on Google was called a "Tuba Monster"*** by NewOrleansNightcrawlers.com. What the hell does that even mean?)

8. Ballyhoo - "Forever"
When I lived in Fargo (don't ask) for about four years, it made me a little sad each time I found a Ballyhoo CD in the bargain bins at Moorhead's Cheapo. It's jam-y, sure, but it's good. It must be, because I do more than tolerate it.

9. Both - "You're Such a Bore"
I'm glad Greg Cougar Conley pursued his solo career, but this works too.

10. No Room to Pogo - "Good Times"
Despite all the hurricanes and death and W. not caring about black people, OMNIMAX's "Hurricane on the Bayou" had some feel good gems on its soundtrack. Point? This could've made the cut.

11. Charlie Parr - "1922"
I'm still waiting for Parr to release a bad record. This can't go on forever, can it?

12. Ben Weaver - "Cold House"
This guy could be rich. But, of course, that would mean selling his soul to the Ying Yang Twins like Maroon 5's Adam Levine.

(I'm sorry, but that's probably the saddest money-grabbin' collaboration these eyes have seen. Pathetic. And I still love Kara's Flowers!)

13. Dukes of Hubbard - "Anne Marie"
Hint: If you want to make any Duluth mix tape, just mention our city within the first couple of lines. See, easy as pie.

14. Sight Like December - "Doot Doot Do Do Doot"
Who are these guys? And can they play at the Budgeteer's next Neil Diamond Day party?

15. Trampled by Turtles - "School Bus Driver"
No one needs any help liking these guys. Next.

16. Jerree Small - "Trap Door"
Does anyone know where a guy could get a really good trap door? I knew this rental property was lacking something. Besides size. (It's comically small.)

17. The Alrights - "I'm So Great"
Me too. We'd probably get along swell.

18. Accident Clearinghouse - "Lonely, Broken-Hearted Fools"
While they'll never top "Bird on the Wing" (don't worry, few could), this is a nice attempt.

19. Muldoons - "Bottomless Town"
This is really swell. I do hope their albums are easy to find.

20. I.P.A. - "Barricades"
A little long for my tastes, but the "Promise me you won't tell a soul" bridge is incendiary.

21. Mr. Lindquist - "Everybody Wants to Go to Heaven"
I'm pretty sure this is a take on the Love and Rockets classic.** Either way, it's a nice way to end this here album. (Love the line "The Ripsaw music critic with a grudge.")

*To the best of my knowledge.
**Unfortunately, my version of "Best of Beaner's 2001" came without a track list. If you have any information on this album, please leave a comment.
***Know what's really sad? I used to play the tuba. From grades 5 to 12. Yeah.

No comments: