Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 10

It's hard to do any "work" when I know the "Transformers" trailers are out, but I'll try.... I would say my childhood is making a full-tilt comeback, but the "TMNT" looks pretty lame. Anyway, the shot to the right was taken somewhere in Colorado roughly 10.5 months ago. Good times!

1. Sloan - "Gimme That"
Big surprise, right? A Sloan stomper in the pole position. At least it's good for you.

2. For Squirrels - "8:02 PM"
The song that got me hooked way back when.

3. Anna Fermin's Trigger Gospel - "Is That All?"
This will be forever linked in my mind with driving across the South Shore to the U.P. I love that piece of the country.

p.s. AFTG's new album is going to drop soon, and I couldn't be more excited!

4. P.O.S. - "Yeah Right (Science Science)"
This only makes me miss Building Better Bombs even more. Either way, I look forward to Stef's show at Luce. Here's just one reason.

5. Dirt McGirt feat. Pharrell - "Pop Sh*t"
R.I.P.

6. The Pixies - "Manta Ray"
Why was this only a B-side? Was it because of Black Francis' ape sounds?

7. Aqueduct - "Frantic (Roman Polanski Version)"
It's funny, I dropped the ball on picking up this record for the longest time, but now I won't let it out of my sight.

Shh ... Aqueduct's sleeping right now.

Anyway, new record next month, "Or Give Me Death." Free samples NOW.

8. The French Kicks - "Roller"
If loofahs somehow had the magical power to turn to song....

9. Hot Hot Heat - "Goodnight Goodnight"
This would've killed at Budokan.

10. Heatmiser - "Still"
Elliott Smith's first group is great, but the intros on songs like this sound really dated. At least they turn themselves around and start kicking in your speakers.

11. The Hold Steady - "You Gotta Dance (With Who You Came With)"
Everyone should love handclaps.

12. Violent Femmes - "I Hate the TV"
I must be playing the role of "Intro Man" tonight because ... doesn't this one's sound awfully similar to something Rush did?

13. The State Champs - "For the Captain"
This will be a good year for the Duluth scene. Just look at how it's starting. There's this, which is getting distribution help from none other than Secretly Canadian, and ...

14. Low - "Hatchet"
the band that needs no introduction and ...

15. The Gallows - "Class Hill Station"
fresh off the success of their highly celebrated contribution to "Treasure Chest," Marc Gartman's latest crowning achievement.

16. Mark Mallman - "Persuasion"
This was apparently lost somewhere between the first and third Traveling Wilburys records. Nice work. Now come to Duluth as promised.

17. Maritime - "Calm"
Two parts Promise Ring, one part Dismemberment Plan ... all good.

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

18. Neko Case - "Lady Pilot"
I love this lady.

19. R.E.M. - "Tongue"
Why was everyone so down on "Monster"? I celebrate it in its entirety. (We're not counting "Kind of Comedy," right?)

20. 764-HERO - "Stained Glass"
An essential to any collection. Too bad they didn't get more recognition.

21. M.I.A. - "Galang (South Rakkas Remix)"
Man, I am such a sucker for female Brits (yes, I know she's new there) who like to rap.

22. Klaxons - "Atlantis to Interzone"
This is bizarre stuff, but I dig its urgency.

23. Of Montreal - "The Party's Crashing Us"
This one sounds like someone tried to shove Sloan into an NES. (How many times can I compare these guys to Sloan before someone else writes in and agrees?)

24. Electric Light Orchestra - "Strange Magic"
Skip the single version. The string intro (there I go again...) is where it's at.

25. The Get Up Kids - "The Dark Night of the Soul"
This phrase was muttered on "Big Love," which just happens to be my latest obsession -- alongside "Carnivale." (I really like what Clea DuVall brings to ... everything.)

No comments: