Friday, January 12, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 11: Mark Mallman Rules, OK?*

Mark Mallman made history in '99 with "Marathon 1," a 26.2-hour song -- performed live at St. Paul's Turf Club. Amazingly, he returned in '04 to record "Marathon 2," which clocked in at a staggering 52.4 hours. (Peter S. Scholtes chronicled that experience terrifically for "Complicated Fun," his City Pages blog.)

But I'm hear to tell you he's more than just another nugget of Minnesota trivia ... he's the man.

Since I completed my Mallman discography Wednesday at the Fetus, I thought I'd share his "greatest hits."

("Cover art" taken Jan. 31, 2006, in my Federal Heights, Colo., apartment with a Sony DSC-H1. By the way, today I finally replaced my Colorado plates with Minnesota ones -- officially ending the longest, most expensive vacation I ever took. Cheers!)

1. "Besides the B-sides"
"Substances" is the song that really roped me in originally, but this little gem -- which I found on a Crisp Songs sampler on eMusic -- is just beyond words. Wonderful (X3).

2. "Substances"
His hit single. If you have a secret stash of Billy Joel records, there's nothing to argue about: You will love this song. And even if you don't secretly love the Piano Man, you'll still like it ... I just like to pretend I'm not the only one who thinks "My Life" -- had I actually been born four years premature -- rocked 1978 the most.

3. "Dear Glory" (Mark Mallman and Vermont)
So this is what the Promise Ring would've sounded like had Mallman stuck around Milwaukee. Anyway, it's interesting to hear him and Davey VonBohlen working together. By the way, the harmonica? Bittersweet.

4. "Natural Blues (live)" (Moby cover)
I was never really fond of the original, but this one's groove-y enough.

5. "Persuasion"
As I mentioned previously, this combines the best elements of the Traveling Wilburys records. In the running with "Substances" for most accessible Mallman track.

6. "Still Wasted"
A half-ballad? Either way, this guy is on fire!

7. "Life Between Heartbeats"
It's funny (sort of...), this song's piano intro could easily sneak its way onto Moby's "Play." That image takes a backseat after the acoustic strumming and gentle percussion rolls in, though.

8. "Symphony No. 9 in D Minor Op. 125 - Fourth Movement" (Mark Mallman and Vermont)
Hands down, the best 18.8-second song I know.

9. "Too Hot" (Mark Mallman and Vermont)
This one's more a showcase of VonBohlen's fragile allure, but just another reason to go snatch up this joint effort. Nice harmonica. Again.

10. "True Love"
A stomper. Interesting skirt lyric.

11. "I'm Over You" (Ben Connelly feat. Mark Mallman)
Mark's contribution is more in the background, but it's a great song and, per my conversation with him for the Budgeteer, it's really because of Ben that I decided to check out Mark's music in the first place.

12. Unlisted track on "Live from First Avenue, Minneapolis"
This is great. I'm not really sure what it is, but it sounds like an outtake from "Pet Sounds." And that is always a good thing.

13. "16 Animals"
A little bit INXS, a little bit Har Mar, a little bit ... Jesus Jones? Don't let that last one scare you, though, this is a pulsing pleasure cruise. (OK, OK, I promise never to utter that phrase ever again....)

14. "Midnight Man"
Is it wrong to label this "blue-collar rock"? No offense to anyone, but it just seems to fit.

15. "Ghost to Ghost"
Hey, the first titled song in his entire catalog! This no novelty selection, though: I reckon this has to be his first great track.

16. "Death Wish"
This song doesn't make a whole lot of sense until :31, so stick with it. Oh, I'm sorry, you don't have some form of ADD?

17. "Love Look at You (live)"
Does that guitar part not scream late-period Beatles?

18. "Clockwork Hangover"
My computer had this song as being untitled, but "Clockwork Hangover" makes a lot of sense. Nice instrumental.

19. "Anesthesia"
The most anyone has sounded like Sponge's second album since ... um ... why did they start sucking after album No. 3, anyway? I miss them.

20. "Love Look at You"

I would like to say this studio version made the cut because it would give new listeners to compare and contrast against the live cut, but, more accurately, I'm an idiot and didn't notice my error. But it is interesting, no? The guitars sound decidedly less Beatles here.

21. "I Just Want to Play Piano"
There's a lot going on here. Be brave.

22. "Hardcore Romantics"
Here too. Really nice harmony on this one. It kind of sounds like a summer night for soon-to-be sixth-graders. (?)

Both excellent, though.

23. "Simply in the Distance"
Mark sounds a little scraggly at first, but this is probably the most beautiful track he's put to tape.

24. "Outside the Castle"
Ah, yes, the sound of losing yourself (not getting lost, mind you ... well, maybe a little) on Highway 61 northbound. The "UFOs are landing!" soundscape are a nice touch too -- reminds me of my darling ELO.

*Original title: "Matt's Mini Mark Mallman Marathon Mix"

No comments: