Monday, January 29, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 15: That's what's left of Kodachrome

For the latest awesome mix tape, I thought I'd go all out for the cover and deface Keneke's* daily specials board in Skywalk.

(No, I haven't gotten lazy....)

Anyway, like always, I hope you enjoy the tunes:

1. The Who - "Pinball Wizard"
Not to start on an incredibly somber note or anything, but this song always reminds me of playing foosball at the Village Inn (no, not those Village Inns) in Outing, Minn., with my friend and his late father. I won't get all sentimental here, but those times in and around Outing were some of the best I ever had.

2. The Format - "Time Bomb"
Switching gears, this is an incredibly sunny song. And -- bonus! -- it's only the second song I can effectively pull off my tick-tock "cow dance." (Gwen Stefani's "What You Waiting For?" being the other ... ahh, yes, good times.)

3. The Walkmen - "Another One Goes By"
Whenever I start to think the Walkmen are overrated, I listen to them. Cures me of my assitude each and every time. This is some gentle magic.

4. Superdrag - "Goin' Out"
It's no secret: If I were a rich man, I would own a jukebox. And, if I owned a jukebox, Superdrag would definitely be on it, right next to ELO. These two never let me down.

5. Greenberry Woods - "Waiting for Dawn"
While this is a terrific song, you wouldn't expect that this group's pair of brothers would go on to form Splitsville, one of the most lush and fascinating groups since the Beach Boys.

6. XTC - "The Mayor of Simpleton"
Quick, add Andy Partridge to your list of musical demigods to meet. (This is a short list that includes Self's Matt Mahaffey, the prolific Ken Andrews and ... well, there's Robert Pollard and ... about a million others I'm forgetting at this moment.)

7. .38 Special - "Like No Other Night"
This is the only band Mitch Hedberg seemed to talk about, and that's really cool.

8. The Mood Elevator - "Watch Your Girl"
Brendan Benson before he started pissing away his talent with Jack White and the Raconteurs....

9. Better Off Airport - "Oui, Oui, Oui, Shock the Bourgeoise"
What ever happened to these guys? One might make the assumption that this is exactly how the Plastic Constellations would sound if they made a record as weird as they probably want to.

10. Charles Douglas - "New Attitude"
This one was always** a staple on the original "Don't Tell a Soul" broadcasts, but that doesn't mean I can't snobbishly tell people (again) what they're missing out on, does it?

11. The Halo Benders - "Snowfall"
Although Calvin Johnson sounded as bored as [expletive deleted] talking to me on the phone this summer, I still like pretty much everything he's ever put to tape.

Of course, singing side-by-side with Doug Martsch never hurts.

12. God Lives Underwater - "Still"
When I first heard this in late-elementary, it blew my mind. Unfortunately, their last record failed to do the same. Nevertheless, everything leading up to it was progressively innovative.

An aside: Did you ever hear the one about GLU getting arrested for inciting a riot? I think I read about that even before I knew what sex was all about -- perhaps C.R.E.S. should get its priorities straight, eh?

13. Girl Talk - "Hold Up"
The best part about listening to Girl Talk (aka the Avalanches for party people) is trying to catch all of the samples. So far I can place the Pixies' "Where is My Mind?," Ludacris' "Austin Powers"-sampling song ("Number 1 Spot"?), some 50 Cent, a song from "Office Space" and classic Weezer to take it home.

14. I Self Devine - "This is It"
I know I worship anything to come out of the Minneapolis hip-hop scene, but this is one of the most explosive tracks out there. This guy should get back with Slug for a little Dynospectrum action.

15. Self - "Miracleworker"
"Gizmodgery" was a landmark album -- made from kids' toy instruments -- so it's kind of a plain shame I haven't shoved it down your throat more often than this.

16. The Russian Futurists - "Paul Simon"
I haven't know idea how these Canadians snuck into my music player, but this is as addicting as those grilled cheese "sammiches" only found at McDonald's restaurants in ... *ahem* McCanada.

17. Fulflej - "Work in This Universe"
Even with the backing of members of the Smashing Pumpkins, these guys couldn't seem to capture the attention of even a fraction of SP's once-massive fan base. Another plain shame.

18. Melvins - "Hooch"
I used to think, When did the Melvins get so weird? Newsflash, buddy: I think it's safe to say they've always been. The mighty K.C. may have been a fan, but it's hard to say if Nirvana would've recorded something like "Hooch" after they made it.

19. Little Black Books - "Wish Away"
Giljunko 2.0? The Books' second album shied away from this rawer sound, but they're still the centerpiece of the Twin Ports' rock scene. I'm quite excited to hear the upcoming album.

20. Charlie Parr - "Right Between the Eyes"
Great song. It might be exclusive to "Iron Country," but that comp doesn't disappoint, so seek it out.

21. Brandon Wiard - "KMS"
This composition is audibly "thick." There's a lot going on. But, since it made DTAS, rest assured that Wiard makes it work.

22. The Border Cops - "Go Big"
Some sunny pop-punk I should probably feel ashamed about liking....

23. Girlsareshort - "Perfect Sound Always"
I want to say this is like a less-polished Chemical Brothers/Flaming Lips collaboration, but that's not even close to being accurate.

It'll come to me someday.

24. Valet - "Isadora Duncan"
Do yourself a favor: Go buy everything Valet put out. It's all unbelievably great. Hauntingly romantic. Timeless.

What else do you need to hear? Move!

I'm not kidding, Valet should be one of your favorite bands.

*To prove that I'm not completely heartless, watch this: EAT AT KENEKE'S. Good stuff. Nice waitstaff next door, too.
**To the best of my recollection. I mean, I know I listened to that record a lot in Fargo, and that's where I did the show and all....

No comments: