A snippet from the excellent Born Backwards' "Mall Punk Instruction":
4) Shoes - If you don't wear Vans, you're not a mall punk. Vans puts on the Warped Tour, and there's nothing more punk than that. You might be able to get by wearing some Converse All Stars, but people may mistake you for emo. FUCK THE SYSTEM!
CD's To Own
Here's a list of bands you must claim to own at LEAST one album from. They are in no particular order.
- Dead Kennedys
- Operation Ivy
- Any band on Fat Wreck Chords (namely No Use For A Name and Lagwagon)
- Any band on Drive Thru Records, but especially Midtown and New Found Glory
- Black Flag (to show you've got roots [this requires that you know who Henry Rollins is, you poser fuck])
- Green Day (Dookie or earlier)
- Many, many compilations with at least 30 songs each (This will allow you to name drop and keep up with any conversation you start. This will let you hear at least one shitty song by every shitty band in existence.)
- Any band on this year's Vans Warped Tour
- A "Before You Were Punk" CD (but you must hate Vagrant records)
- Screeching Weasel
- Gutter "The Worst Band In Existence" Mouth
p.s. Check out the Born Backwards main page for an MP3 of John Mayer's "interesting" cover of Radiohead's "Kid A."