Monday, February 12, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 16.5: Songs under two minutes (an ADD mix tape)


As I was prepping DTAS 17, I noticed that both the Ramones' "Judy is a Punk" and Prescott Curlywolf's "Mariposa" were short. Very short. So I thought I'd make a day of finding some of the best songs clocking in at or below 1:59. Too bad Styx's "Too Much Time on My Hands" wasn't eligible....

Cheers!


1. The Pixies - "Dead" (Live at the BBC)
Like a few other groups on this collection, the Pixies are quite adept at crafting the perfect pieces of "tiny rock." "Allison" is definitely my favorite, but I'm well aware of the fact that I've pushed "Allison" on numerous occassions.

2. Weezer - "Possibilities"
A hard charger ... at least for a band that has done music videos with the Muppets. Listen closely at 0:54 -- that's when Rivers and company really do their magic.

3. The Wrens - "The House that Guilt Built"
Your car has broken down. It's well past the midnight hour. You're on a semi-deserted highway. The moon's sliding in and out of cloud cover.

Did you hear that? That sound?

What's that lurking in the ditch?

Relax.

It's just the Wrens.


4. Prescott Curlywolf - "Mariposa"
"My amp's on the porch."

Why?

"'Cause it stinks from the vomit."

(You'll quickly learn that when it comes to Prescott Curlywolf, your questions are better left unasked.)


5. Gnarls Barkley - "Feng Shui"
It's easy to get down on the Gnarls. "Crazy" was played so much this summer ... well, you kind of want to tear out your eyeballs whenever you hear it now. No fear, "Feng Shui" is an enjoyable exercise in arrangements apparently copped from the Avalanches.

6. The Rentals - "Insomnia"
Let's just say it's obvious that members of Elastica helped Matt Sharp work on this record.

7. The Ramones - "Judy is a Punk"
Short, sweet and classic.

8. Electric Light Orchestra - "On the Run" (home demo)
I love this band, but I'm pretty sure everyone within a 300-mile radius of me is in tune with that observation.

9. J. Church - "She Says"
Something about this is dreary and depressing, although the vocals are quite nice. (One of this group's high points.)

10. Talking Heads - "Who is It?"
Fun experiment to try if you ever happen upon a frat party: Play this. See how long you last until you're pelted with a can of PBR.

11. The Tyde - "County Line"
This is ... amazing. I kind of regret not pushing them into 2006's Top 10. Listen to those backup vocals!

12. Stephen Malkmus - "Leisurely Poison"
I got turned on to Pavement late in the game, and that's probably why I think this is better than almost they did together. You can't listen to it just once....

13. Roy - "Mob Riot, Everybody's a Winner"
So epic. So wild west. So wide-open spaces?

14. Rancid - "She's Automatic"
Why can't more modern punk sound like this? It's fierce and it's fast, but, like "County Line," the backup vocals actually make the song more attractive.

15. Starlight Mints - "Submarine #3"
Probably the only psychotropic/oddball pop song I've ever turned my wife on to. Now with strings!

16. Self - "Better than Aliens"
In a few of the myriad alternate universes I frequently drop in on, Matt Mahaffey is king. No diggity.

17. Dennis Driscoll - "Sunday is Over"
This gentle lullaby remains a shining hour for K Records.

18. Supermodel Stalker - "Speedbumps and Airbags"
"Jesus, Jesus / You're my speedbump / When I fall asleep at the wheel / You wake me up."

Come again?

"
Jesus, Jesus / You're my airbag / When I'm driving drunk and I crash / You comfort me."

That's what I thought: This heatseeker isn't for the faint of heart. Or for those who say "nay" to jokes.


19. Jeremy Messersmith - "Super Frog Saves Tokyo"
Someone played too much "Zelda" as a kid....

20. M.I.A. - "One for the Head"
This "skit" also screams of 8-bit soundtracks, but I can't quite place the game.

21. Frank Black - "Brackish Boy"
This song is dirty. Or just sounds dirty. I can't really tell.

Just what the hell is he singing about, anyway?


22. Sloan - "Will I Belong?"
With "Never Hear the End of It," Sloan mastered the "little rock" format. Here's one of many that could've made the cut.

23. Queens of the Stone Age - "The Quick and the Pointless"
Sadly, this nonsensical quickie is probably more interesting than anything that surfaced on the last QOTSA release. (Stick to the Eagles of Death Metal, boy.)

24. Motion City Soundtrack - "Attractive Today"
Unless MCS starts wearing "manliner," I will support them until I die ... which just happens to be in a fiery plane crash ... the day after Valentine's Day. (More on this later.)

25. Jamie Ness - "Run Around"
But enough gloom. It's hard not to picture little Ruby and Pearl smiling when you hear this one.

26. Syrup USA - "Thrill Fit"
Am I the only one that worships this band? I'd like to know.

27. NOFX - "No Fun in Fundamentalism"
If you thought "Speedbumbs and Airbags" was in poor taste, google this track's conservative-bashing lyrics.

Catchy tune, too.


28. Sean Na Na - "Third Life"
This one's a tearjerker.

29. They Might Be Giants - "Spines"
This song is ... umm ... you know what? I can't do this anymore, I still have more than 20 to go. I mean, I've been working on this one for more than a week. It's just ... exhausting. Please take my word on the rest of them. (Ha!)

30. Of Montreal - "Little Rock"

31. The Coup - "Bullets and Love"

32. Low - "Your Poison"

33. Charles Douglas - "Go"

34. Violent Femmes - "Old Mother Reagan"

35. Everlast - "The White Boy is Back"

36. The High Speed Scene - "F*ck and Spend"

37. The Stereo - "Dear Fans of the Stereo"

38. Clumsy Lovers - "Highland Skip"

39. Clinton - "Saturday Night and Dancing"

40. The Advantage - "Super Mario Bros. 2 - Overworld"

41. I Self Devine - "I Am"

42. Mink Lungs - "Oscillator"

43. The Presidents of the United States of America - "Ladies and Gentlemen, Pt. 1"

44. Dressy Bessy - "All These Colors"

45. Daniel Johnston - "Devil Town"

46. Spoon - "Idiot Driver"

47. Tim Fite - "Toasted Rye"

48. Badly Drawn Boy - "Blistered Heart"

49. Jonny Polonski - "Truly Ugly and Dead Too"

50. Blur - "Chinese Bombs"

51. Grandaddy - "50%"

52. Modest Mouse - "Wild Packs of Family Dogs"

53. Cordalene - "This City is a Catalyst"

54. Girl Talk - "Double Pump"

55. Schatzi - "Guitars vs. Humans"


No comments: