Saturday, July 14, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 37: It's the cruelest joke to play

For the uninitiated, "Don't Tell a Soul" is my ongoing, semi-regular awesome mix tape series.

And this, right here, is the latest installment.

As always, to encourage the consumption of music that doesn't suck, I have provided --
wherever available -- links to free, artist-sanctioned MP3s of the songs.

Enjoy!
Matt

(Questions or comments? E-mail mperrine [at] duluthbudgeteer [dot] com.)

1. The Melvins - "Hooch"
Holy Holly, it's the dark side of grunge!

2. Pearl Jam - "Spin the Black Circle"
You can never go wrong with hard-rockin' anthems celebrating everything vinyl (aka the most perfect of music formats).

3. Modest Mouse - "Willful Suspension of Disbelief"
And for the third straight song from a group originating in Washington state....

4. Queens of the Stone Age - "In My Head"
It's all good, for QOTSA hails from the Golden State's high deserts.

5. The Advantage - "Super Mario Bros. 2: Overworld"
I know bands covering NES gems is "old news," but no one does it quite as magically as the Advantage.

Viva la 8-bit!

6. Helmet - "Symptom of the Universe" (Black Sabbath cover)
A little harder than DTAS traditionally gets, I'll admit, but I'm desperately yearning for the day when I get to pick my "Guitar Hero" set list. This little-heard cover's a strong contender.

7. Rocket from the Crypt - "Heads are Gonna Roll"
Actually, this one's quite "rollicky"* too ... I must've been high on testosterone or something when I made this mix tape.

8. The Ramones - "I Wanna Be Your Boyfriend"
Phew, let's take a breather. How about this li'l unexpected gem from the Bronx bombers?**

9. The Mekons - "Sin City"
Yee-haw!

10. The Amen Corner - "(If Paradise is) Half as Nice"
Recommended if you like the intro on Glen Phillips' "Thankful," the best '60s pop had to offer (primarily Herman's Hermits), Simple Kid's highest highs, Gary Portnoy's "Cheers" theme (but I can't say why) and, quite possibly -- but don't hold me to this -- LSD.

11. Scissor Sisters - "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'"
R.I.Y.L. unabashed resurrections of disco/rock (and not the other way around). This is some fun shit!

12. The K.G.B. - "Fortune and Fame"
Horns! Energy! Excitement! Yes!

13. Mexico 70 - "Jimmy McGriff"
"I wonder if it hurts."

14./15. Simian - "Mr. Crow" / Mollycoddle - "Ms. Crow"
I hate being too obviously gimmicky, but these songs actually work well together. Simian is pretty much the second coming of the Beatles*** proper, while Mollycoddle's sunny Boston-by-way-of-New Mexico vibe is irresistible to fans of "the quiet Beatle."

16. The Beatles - "Flying"
Oh, speaking of those demonic stalwarts....

17. Justice - "Genesis"
Want to know what I think of Justice? I hope so.

18. The Russian Futurists - "The Science of the Seasons"
Have you ever tried to pass out (err, get a good night's sleep) while there's still a party semi-ragin' in the opium den/room next door? This is kind of what music sounds like in that situation of situations. (Chew on that!)

19. Deckard - "What Reason"
This track's infectious chorus would've easily fit alongside tracks like ...

20. The Jam - "Absolute Beginners"
on the "Grosse Pointe Blank" soundtrack. I'm not a religious man, but thank God for those two CDs. -> They're definitely going with me on my next plane trip. (See, I assume every plane trip will end up like the one on "Lost"....)

21. Laptop - "Not the Right Time"
Sounds like someone else also thinks Ken Andrews is a god.

22. John Vanderslice feat. Spoon - "Time Travel is Lonely" (alt. vers.)
How do you improve on what may already be the best song ever recorded?

You don't, silly.

But, with friends like Spoon, you can at least try to make a second take almost as enduring.

Regardless of semantics (and/or really lame shenanigans), this one is not to be missed.

23. Mason Jennings - "Nothing" (Live at the 400 Bar, Oct. 20, 2001)
Like No. 22, this is another attempt at improving on aural gold. And you know what? I'm half-tempted to say Mason has pulled it off!

24. davis? - "Problem"
I never thought I'd say this, but I miss a lot about Fargo -- especially davis? "Pretension" isn't a word in these guys' vocabularies. This is just sincere, laidback rock 'n' roll at its finest.

25. Deathray - "My Lunatic Friends"
R.I.Y.L. Self, the K.G.B. and sweet-ass lines like "I just wanna tell you people / That everything's my fault / I just wanna kick the door down / And start my 24 seven-day assault."

*Making up words is acceptable if and only if you're old enough to know better. It's not cute at 24, but, really, is it cute at any age? (p.s. If you can't already tell, I subscribe to the "no babies in 2007" battle plan.) A HA HA

**I know they're from Queens, but that just doesn't sound as cool ... Queens bombers? I didn't think so.
***Smack anyone that tells you otherwise. No, really, they're just trying to hurt you.

No comments: