Saturday, September 6, 2008

sys21 :: WHERE THE BISON ROAM

Mix tape 21 in the SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES series is a good backup for those Thursday nights when Walt Dizzo's regularly scheduled radio hour(s) is interrupted by decidedly non-rocking political coverage. Damn you, Wisconsin Public Radio!

1. Ian Brown - "My Star"
This impeccable solo offering more than makes up for the Stone Roses' dismal "Second Coming" album.

2. Toadies - "So Long Lovely Eyes"
This is what they mean when they say I'm really into music: "Ringleader Vaden Todd Lewis hasn’t lost sight of what made the Toadies so fresh and exciting in the first place. Album opener 'So Long Lovely Eyes' is so evocative of the group’s glory days, in fact, that it nearly brought tears to my eyes."

3. The Frames - "Underglass"
This is another song that has a similar effect on me. I don't think anyone's ever executed modern rock as flawlessly as the Frames have done here.

4. Richard Swift - "Lady Luck"
Like the songs on my mom's worn-out copy of the "The Big Chill" soundtrack (on cassette -- yay, '80s!), this is timeless music -- that just happens to have been released this year -- worth at least a couple hundred spins.

5. Human Highway - "The Sound"
I loved Nicholas Thorburn in his "other" band, Islands, so it's no surprise I loved him here too. But, even if I happened to hate Islands, I would still consider Human Highway 2008's most promising new act.

6. We are Scientists - "This Scene is Dead"
For fans of hyperactive post-punk bands like Submerge, Piebald and ... some others I can't think of right now.

7. The Hush Now - "Traditions"
Recommended if you like Dealership, autumn, Syrup USA, Tool (bass and drum parts only, though...).

8. Editors - "Bullets"
There is a reason this group has been hyped so much over the last couple years; this is epic, glorious rock 'n' roll with "big time" written all over it. -> Like Keane, but less embarrassing to admit you listen to.

9. Nick Drake - "Horn"
Wouldn't sound out of place on the "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack.

10. Rogue Wave - "Seasick on Land"
I reached back to my Fargo college days with a lot of selections today (hence this tape's title), and this track evokes my time there more than any other. If I close my eyes, I'm immediately transported back to late fall/snow is imminent, on the NDSU campus, up around the Fargodome ... anyway, I won't bore you (any further) with the details; I just find it funny how powerful music can be at triggering such memories.

11. From Bubblegum to Sky - "Sign the Air"
Another track from my college days, which I played a lot on my radio show, "Don't Tell a Soul." It's too bad this group hasn't caught on more yet.

12. The Long Blondes - "Once and Never Again"
Kind of a risque song, don't you think?

13. The Tripwires - "Big Electric Light"
Sounds like Oasis in their glory days without the offputting vocals and uncontrollable ego. Oh, plus more C&W stylings.

14. The Strugglers - "The Cascade Range"
I'll humbly take this opportunity to remind everyone that I really dig this group.

15. Pennies for a Dime - "Iron Path"
And this group too, but, since I am to remain "fair and balanced" this week, read my feature on this West Duluth trio instead.

16. Atmosphere - "Not Another Day"
Like "You," this one works unplugged as well:



17. Arizona Amp and Alternator - "Re-entry"
A bizarro little instrumental before ...

18. Basement Jaxx - "Living Room"
Yet another five-star Basement Jaxx radio-friendly masterpiece.

19. The Strokes - "On the Other Side"
With such a tight rhythm section, I'm surprised anybody could hate this group. I tried at first (hype usually "kills the mood" for me), but it was impossible to stay away for too long.

20. "South Park" clip - "Stan Marsh..."
From the Rob Schneider-skewering "Stanley's Cup," one of my favorite episodes.

21. Steely Dan - "Deacon Blues"
Per an AOL live chat with Walter Becker in 1994: "I remember the night that we mixed ('Deacon Blues'), thinking that it was really good and wanting to hear it over and over, which is never the case."

22. The Stills - "Being Here"
The Insound quasi-review said it best: "The Stills' new material, beginning with the anthemic lead single, 'Being Here,' conveys a rejuvenated, reinvigorated sense of being."

Thus concludes your twenty-first dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series previously known as Don't Tell a Soul.

No comments: