Monday, September 1, 2008

sys20 :: PINING FOR THE FJIORD


Mix tape 20 in the SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES series is the aural equivalent of microwaving your parents' Travis Tritt CDs when you were 12. -> Toasty!
Today's game* is: If I had to match each and every selection to a film I hold close to my heart, what cinematic adventure would it be?
Oh, and -- in a feeble attempt to secure blog sponsorship -- we (I) exlusively listen to our (my) awesome mix tapes on Koss headphones. (In fact, today I'm celebrating my latest purchase, the bass-tastic UR-20s!)

1. The Standard - "Metropolitan"
Would sound best in ... "Dark Water." I know, not a cinematic masterpiece by any means, but I own it because A) Jennifer Connelly's in it and B) Jennifer Connelly's in it. Anyway, this song's cold, industrial core easily matches the lonely, twisted hellhole Connelly's character rents with her little daughter.

2. Gerling - "Blood on the Microphone, Pt. 1"
This is a nice complement to Track 1, with its dark, pulsating "evil disco" beat and all. I'm gonna go ahead and pair this one with the recently released director's cut of the cult classic "Dark City." While I haven't seen the whole movie yet, the fact that *ahem* Connelly's in it -- Starting to notice a pattern? -- places it high atop my Amazon.com wishlist.

3. The Vestals - "Telescope"
"Newton's Disease." I can't explain where it would fit in exactly, but I will admit that pimping out local product is always fun.

4. davis? - "Problem"
"Forgetting Sarah Marshall." Again, doesn't exactly match the specific feel/locale of the movie (Hawai'i), but ... oh, heck, perhaps it's time I admit that today's "game" is way harder than I could have ever imagined. No worries, though, I'll still give it that "old NDSU try": If davis? were just given one opportunity to prove themselves to millions of moviegoers, they would surely win over every single last one. This track is a deceptively upbeat radio-hit-in-waiting that was no doubt inspired by the Jayhawks.

5. Kruddler - "Friday Night in the North Woods"
"Footsteps." Which hasn't been released yet, so don't look for it. (I have yet to write the screenplay....)

6. Toadies - "Nothing to Cry About"
"Fight Club." On the strength of the mammoth percussion alone. Can't you see Tyler Durden taking a blow to the face with this pumping away in the background?

7. Mel Gibson and the Pants - "Sea"
Actually, this is much more "Fight Club." This has Dust Brothers-produced interlude written all over it.

8. Aesop Rock feat. the Mountain Goats' John Darnielle - "Coffee"
"Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." Remember that really awesome hangout Shredder had for the Foot Soldiers-in-training? My only qualm with that place is that its hip-hop soundtrack needs a serious overhaul.

9. Soulcrate Music - "Live and Direct from the Soulcrate"
"Crash." Squeezed into the scene in which Ludacris steals a Lincoln Navigator. Nothing against the song that's already there, Move.meant's terrific "Problems," it's just that this Sioux Falls original has a similar, Timbaland-would-be-so-proud vibe.

10./11. XV - "Give You Everything"/"Empty Recycle Bin"
"Entourage." Not a movie -- I cheat, I know-- but its mainstream, Kanye West-aping sound would fit in nicely on any given episode.

12. King of Woolworths - "Where Fleas Hide"
"Vanilla Sky" and/or "Lost in Translation." Almost as otherwordly as anything Spiritualized and/or My Bloody Valentine can pump out.

13. Eels - "Hey Man (Now You're Really Living)"
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." Can't keep my mind off of Kate Winslet's unforgettable character in this Michel Gondry mindf---, Clementine Kruczynski.

14. Kara's Flowers - "Oliver"
"Mallrats." In fact, why wasn't this on the soundtrack?

15. Beck - "Everybody's Got to Learn Sometime" [Korgis cover]
"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." Because, well, it's already on the soundtrack.... But, if I were given the choice, I would've said "The Virgin Suicides" instead. Much better fit, methinks.

16. Sondre Lerche - "Sleep on Needles" [Live]
"High Fidelity." Dare I say this could pass as a standby in the legendary Beta Band scene?

17. Electric Light Orchestra - "Secret Lives"
"Donnie Darko." Hey, it's where I fell in love with the similar "Head Over Heels" by Tears for Fears!

18. They Might Be Giants - "AKA Driver"
"About Schmidt." This track is forever linked in my head with driving from Fargo to Denver, so it's nearly a perfect fit.

19. Paloalto - "Sonny"
"You Can Count on Me." The sister part, not exactly the whole bit about sunshine.

20. Ra Ra Riot - "Dying is Fine"
"Juno." Pretentious enough, anyway.

21. The Glenrustles - "Punching the Drunk"
"North Country." I know, Rich Mattson's Sparta connection is too easy, but, really, this could easily pull its weight in the Iron Range bars portrayed in the film.

22. Blind Pilot - "Two Towns from Me"
"Sideways." Actually, this charming song actually syncs up with more than half of the film's pivotal scenes.

23. Easily Amused - "Got Your News" [Live at the Brewhouse]
"The Straight Story." If only riding lawnmowers were equipped with tinny little speakers....

24. Francine - "Off You" [Breeders cover]
"We Don't Live Here Anymore." Extramarital affairs take soul-searching** -- something this touching, C&W-leaning cover is almost overflowing with.

*You know, to keep things "spicy."
**Confidential to Sarah in Superior: This isn't firsthand knowledge, baby, I've just happened to see innumerable films on the matter; chief among them the one in question, "The Good Girl" and, lest we forget, "Closer."

Thus concludes your twentieth dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series previously known as Don't Tell a Soul.

No comments: