Friday, March 9, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 20: The king's taken back the throne

I love music, and I heard rumours she's kind of digging the Matt action too....

1. Arcade Fire - "Intervention"
Song of the year. Without a doubt.

2. Grandaddy - "Jeez Louise"
Now when Jason Lytle sings about Modesto, I can only think about the most disturbing scene in "Zodiac." Eerie.

Did I mention you have to go see that? It's long, but you'll never know: It sucks you in and flies by. David Fincher is a master storyteller. (Excellent performances by Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, Robert Downey Jr., John Carroll Lynch and Clea DuVall* never hurts, though.)

3. Stories - "Brother Louie"
As you can probably tell, "Zodiac" was still very much fresh on my mind when I put this one together -- "Brother Louie" and other classics from the era dot the film's soundtrack.

4. Molemen feat. Slug - "Lambslaughter"
Come to think of it, this modern-day hip-hop epic could easily fit in on "Zodiac's" soundtrack, with its chilling, dysfunctional circus organ. And what's with that film clip in the middle -- does that not sound like Ruffalo?

OK, I'm done: No more "Zodiac" pimping. If you see it, you see it.

If you don't, that's just your too bad.

5. The Format - "Ape Man" (Kinks cover)
You'll probably hate this song the first time you hear it.

And the second.

And the third.

And the ... get the picture? It took me three months to warm up to it, but now I love it. It's the aural equivalent of a sugar high. It's hard not to smile when you listen to it (for the 332nd time...).

6. J Church - "Vampire Girl Prefers Me Alive"
These guys are back ... and they've still got it. Infectious, melodic and angular punk at its best. Best of all, their upcoming album, "The Horror of Life," is only $7 through No Idea Records -- pick it up!

7. The Who - "Rael 2"
A brief little hymnal before ...

8. The Black Lips - "Not a Problem" (live)
One of the most exciting songs this year. I can only imagine that this is what garage/surf rock sounded like before anyone had the idea that putting them together would be a good idea.

The next Trashmen? One can only hope.

9. Cars & Trucks - "I've Been Wondering"
Stupid f*cking name, I'll admit, but these guys f*cking rock, so it's OK.

Eat it, numbnuts. (Apparently I've been touched "in a special place" by the words of Tony Bennett.) (Or maybe it's just the Fat Tire talking....)

10. Charles Douglas - "I Don't Care"
Charles Douglas is on fire!

Won't somebody help him out?

11. Dealership - "Green"
Never ever say Berkeley kids don't know how to rock. <-That's just rude.

12. Radiohead - "I Might Be Wrong"
I probably take my Grandaddy allegiance too far sometimes: This is some amazing stuff.

13. Thin Lizzy - "Whiskey in the Jar"
I'm so ashamed I heard Metallica's version first....

14. Damian "Jr. Gong" Marley - "It Was Written"
As far as white reggae fans go, I'm probably the least likely to be able to successfully pull it off, but you can't deny the musicality going on here. This is at the same level as his father. (No joke.)

15. Echobelly - "Today Tomorrow Sometime Never"
This isn't anything you'd think to listen to, but when it pops up on your MP3 player, you can't help but fall in love with it (and
Sonya Aurora Madan) all over again.

16. Batteries - "Childproof"
I don't know much about this Duluth group, but I do know that I like what I hear.

17. Bob Dylan - "On a Night Like This"
I was just at a get-together at the Democrat headquarters in town, and, next to all sorts of posters of prominent Democrats in office, they had a picture of Duluth's native son. Do they know something I don't?

Dunh dunh duh....

18. Rjd2 - "You Never Had It So Good"
This is magical, and I let my fellow music dorks at eMusic know it:

Give it a chance Perin from Duluth, Minn.
I can see/hear why longtime fans are upset, but every couple songs you run into pure gold, like laid back Money Mark. Radical departures in sound should probably be accompanied by clever pseudonyms (so as not to upset the stubborn folk) but what is Rjd2 to do? "Chris Gaines" was already taken....

Much better than anything else he's ever done. Look for it to top quite a few year-end lists come December.

19. Underworld - "Born Slippy"
I usually don't have the attention span for songs clocking in at 9:44, but, like [A CERTAIN NEW-RELEASE MOVIE THAT I'M NOT A-S'POSED TO TALK ABOUT ANYMORE], it really draws you in, ya know?

20. The Moody Blues - "Ride My See-Saw"
Wow, what a change of pace. I like it, though.


*Yeah, that's right; not one but two "Carnivale" greats. What a treat!

No comments: