Sunday, March 4, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 19: Take another picture with your click, click, click, click camera

A number of these tracks I discovered through Alan Williamson's excellent *SIXEYES MP3 blog, which, in turn, he got from South by Southwest's similarly excellent site.

1. The Wannadies - "Nothing Wrong"
Sweden has a long history of the best pop music ever released (namely ABBA and Ace of Base), so it's only fitting that its best indie rock group's sound is steeped in it.

2. Dressy Bessy - "Lipstick"
And Denver ... doesn't really have too much of a musical history, so it's nice that the members of Dressy Bessy are taking that small feat upon themselves. (Bonus: This cut has one addictive intro.)

3. Sloan - "Ill Placed Trust"
This comes from my favorite album of 2006, so I don't think you should need any more convincing than that. Put your trust in me, young Padawan learner.

4. Wilco - "Either Way"
One of three leaked tracks from their upcoming album, "Sky Blue Sky," "Either Way" finds our favorite all-male group from Chicago* getting on their AM mellow gold. Reactions to this new career path have been quite varied (and, sometimes, incredibly harsh), but I like it. I really, really do.

5. Bloc Party - "Hunting for Witches"
Everything you've heard about "A Weekend in the City" is probably true: It's not all that great, but there are a few tracks (like this one) that are worthy successors to "Silent Alarm's" massive highs.

6. The Village Green - "When the Creepers Creep In"
Solid tune, but I'm at a loss of words as to what to say about it. (So sorry!)

7. Pop Levi - "Sugar Assault Me Now"
This one comes on like Michael Jackson's epic "Black or White," but it doesn't end up there -- thankfully. The vocals are kind of tortured, like [PLEASE HELP ME OUT BY FILLING IN THIS BLANK].

Layne Staley?

Perhaps....

But definitely getting closer.


8. Pleasant - "Where You Are"
These guys are swell, like a less-frantic Plastic Constellations. They achieve a really warm sound, like good buddies running through a few numbers in their living room during an impromptu performance.

9. Heiruspecs - "A Tiger Dancing"
This fine example of "live hip-hop" is 80 percent kickass until 1:43, when it kicks into interstellar overdrive, defying logic and launching into the 100-plus percent atmosphere** ... ANYWAY, I cannot wait until they drop their new album. The whole world's watching now, Heiruspecs.

10. Herbert - "Something Isn't Right"
I stumbled upon this enjoyable little ditty on my MP3 player the other day. Like so many others, I have absolutely no idea where it came from, but it's damn good.

11. Pearl Jam - "Pry, To"
A nice little break in the action before ...

12. The Golden Dogs - "Never Meant Any Harm"
Who are these diamond dogs? This sh*t is hot! (Think late-period XTC meets any given calculated, enduring 8-bit soundtrack. It kind of makes me miss "Bubble Bobble.")

13. The Procession - "Major and Minor"
Speaking of periods, this takes Sloan's obsession with mid-period Beatles, peppers it with a little late-period Redd Kross and crosses that line to near-mimicry. It's good, though, because ... well, I have a theory: There are two type of people. Those who love the Beatles and those who don't yet know that they love the Beatles.

Simple enough, right?


14. Rock Plaza Central - "My Children, Be Joyful"
Add this to that emerging subgenre of semi-precious bands that sound as if they're fronted by mountain men.

Plus, bonus, they tastefully throw in some Beulah horns because, let's face it, everyone knows that everyone misses that band.


15. The Avalanches - "Avalanche Rock"
Another little mini-nugget thrown in to keep listeners on the edge of their seats. (Ha!)

16. Nada Surf - "Blizzard of '77"
As the Twin Ports were blessed with just less than 20 inches of snow, I thought I'd throw this in. (Just remember: "2007" is as easy to sing as "'77.")

17. Spoon - "Sister Jack"
What a lovely pop song. Spoon really has its formula down these days.

18. Ol' Yeller - "The Universe"
This is half-surf epic, half-rollicking Iron Range anthem = I love it.

19. Midlake - "Roscoe"
Miss Fleetwood Mac? (Really? Me too!) Not anymore, my son....

(p.s. Check out the "M*A*S*H" theme undercurrent. Beautiful.)


20. Protokoll - "Moving Forward"
Good, but, like the Village Green, doesn't inspire any "witty" quips.

21. The Alrights - "In a Way"
This sounds like a recovering wedding band (or early Spymob, if you want to get technical), but they pull it off.

22. Bishop Allen - "Click Click Click"
What's better than songs about cameras (that don't suck)? "I Turn My Camera On," you're close to losing your crown.

"Take another picture with your click, click, click, click camera."


23. You Am I - "It Ain't Funny How We Don't Talk Anymore"
I don't know the exact definition of "power chord," but I'm pretty sure at least a few are employed here.

24. The Frames - "Sad Songs"
This doesn't rock like No. 23, but, much akin to "Roscoe," it conjures up the ghost of the golden age of "The Mac." (At least the chords in the beginning; the rest sounds like classic Frames action.)

25. Pete and the Pirates - "Come On Feet"
Sweet name. Sweet Frames-esque groove, too.

26. Dirty on Purpose - "No Radio"
I haven't yet made the commitment to being a full-fledged Dirty on Purpose fan, but everything I've heard so far is really, really great. Don't make the same mistake as I.

Additional recommended listening:
Humanoid, a Duluth supergroup featuring none other than the infallible Greg Cougar Conley (Both, the State Champs, "Billy Bumblebee," etc.). Since I don't have their "Ancient History" EP -- with the wonderful "Believe" -- yet, I thought I could at least link to their MySpace page.

*I have to make this distinction because I'm in love with Anna Fermin's Trigger Gospel.
**Confused yet? Sadly, you're not alone.

No comments: