Sunday, March 29, 2009

sys46 :: MILWAUKEE MOUNTAIN


"My only regret is that we were never able to find a spot for the Frogs, a wonderfully demented band whose music truly is the ideal soundtrack to 'Jackass' — although so much so that it was entirely impossible to get any of their stuff on the television show. If anything, once a song of theirs received the fine-tooth comb from the MTV standards department, it would've been no more entertaining than a car alarm convulsing at 4 in the morning with the true majesty of the Frogs' dirty lyrics lost in a barrage of bleeps." "Jackass" producer Sean Cliver

1. Mason Jennings - "Nothing"
The song that launched his career.

2. Mighty Fairly - "Shadow"
Ever feel like you're stuck in a bandmate's shadow? Obviously I of the no-talent set have no experience in that department, but I think that's what this song is about....

3. Lazerbeak - "Legend Recognize Legend"
Recognize: This is DJ Abilities-level greatness.

4. Basement Jaxx feat. Siouxsie Sioux - "Cish Cash"
A pummeling of the senses ... that you can shimmy shimmy ya to!

5. Hot Hot Heat - "Let Me In"
The sweet, sweet sound of "selling out." I'll be the first to admit that my knee-jerk response to the "Happiness Ltd." album was unnecessarily dismissive.

6. MGMT - "Time to Pretend"
Whether it's being used beautifully in the opening scenes of "21" or kind of cliched-like in "Sex Drive," this song is everywhere — unavoidable in the best possible way.

7. M. Ward feat. Zooey Deschanel - "Rave On"
She & Him in reverse is Him & She. <- That's (surprisingly) actually a pretty good way of explaining what this song sounds like.

8. Pavement - "Embassy Row"

It appears I won't give this Pavement kick a rest until the entire "Brighten the Corners" album has been featured on these here awesome mix tapes.

9. The Thermals - "Now We Can See" [MP3]
Many thanks to Walt Dizzo for playing this request on his KUWS radio show Thursday night. Every boy and girl deserves to hear this impossibly catchy barnburner.

10. Deckard - "Christine"
Does the longshoreman's wife dream of electric warriors?

11. Fol Chen - "No Wedding Cake" [MP3]
... Except that there was wedding cake, and it was shoved right up my nose!

12. Imperial Teen - "21st Century"
"Superfan" alert: Even in Art Vandalay record reviews I manage to reference Imperial Teen.

13. A Camp - "Love Has Left the Room"
A delightful little group featuring the Cardigans' Nina Persson and her husband, Shudder to Think's Nathan Larson. For fans of Pulp, the Beatles, beautiful Swedish women.

14. Ben Lee - "Close I've Come"
Before I beat you over the head with how much I'm obsessed with Ben Lee's new album, "The Rebirth of Venus," I thought I'd revisit the first song of his I fell in love with, from 2005's "Awake is the New Sleep." I used to clean NAVTEQ's offices in Fargo for a spell in '05, and that song and Ol' Dirty Bastard's "Brooklyn Zoo" and some stuff from Hot Hot Heat (strange mix, I know) came up repeatedly on my MP3 player those nights.

15. Cursive - "All I Know"
One wonders if this is what a new Neutral Milk Hotel single would sound like.

16. The Mamas and the Papas - "I Saw Her Again (Last Night)"
Very British/bass-heavy/Herman's Hermits-y production ... I love it!

17. Bran Van 3000 - "Rainshine"
Completely propulsive percussion drives this claustrophobic mix tape must.

18. RH+ - "Curb"
This upbeat, poppy-enough group from Chile, which also goes by Rock Hudson, is currently one of my top "finds." I haven't heard a lot of buzz about them anywhere, so I hope some more music geeks give them a chance.

19. Phish - "Brian and Robert" [Live at Hampton Coliseum, 3/7/09]
Reunited, and it feels so good!

20. Superdrag - "I Only Want a Place I Can Stay"
Same here!

21. Mates of State - "So Many Ways"
Very similar to MGMT's "Time to Pretend," but ... I really don't care. They're both just so great. (This may just be the "Z" talking, but I'm all smiles when either pops up on my iPod.)

Thus concludes your forty-sixth dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series formerly known as "Don't Tell a Soul."

No comments: