Sunday, February 8, 2009

sys40 :: UNDERSTANDING A PERFECT ENGINE


After succumbing to the not-so-dreaded Netflix virus, my awesome mix tapes are back in heavy rotation. On a scale of nine to 10, how much did you miss us? And, please, honestly is not a virtue when it comes to answering that question....

1. Atmosphere - "One of a Kind"
What a classic intro: "I'm different because I respect my audience and I don't yell at them. And I'm special because I respect my audience." "Yeah!" "Shut the f--- up!"

2. Middle States - "In Charge"
I've said it before, but: Like Rich Mattson and Tony Derrick in our beloved Tisdales, Middle States frontman Wes Morden draws inspiration from all those classic records you’ve heard incessantly since you first started falling in love with music. As such, the Middle States formula is all at once refreshing and timeless-sounding. This is undeniable music. Guided by Voices fans should take notice.

3. Sam & Dave - "Hold On, I'm Comin'"
Yes, "Soul Man" was good, but this is the one for me. (On a related note, today's "moment of zen" can be found by taking a look at the artwork for this song's single. Loungin' on a cartoon turtle? Just awesome.)

4. Super Junky Monkey - "If"
Featuring members of Sick of It All, this raucous track was my introduction to the Japanese scene so many years.

5. Trio - "Hearts are Trump"
Words can't come close to expressing how great this song is, but I can say that, if you've enjoyed David Bowie's output over the last decade or so, you'll really dig this largely underappreciated gem from the "Da Da Da" folks.

6. Eels - "Rock Hard Times"
I feel bad for Obama, I do: His predecessor f------ broke the world!

7. The Boomtown Rats - "I Don't Like Mondays"
On a lighter note, this "Quadrophenia"-leaning track from 1979 is one of the best ever recorded. Soak it up.

8. Avenpitch - "Don't Come Cryin' to Me"
Besides nicking a line from Soul Asylum’s “April Fool,” this electropunk gem incorporates subtle melody nods to R.E.M.’s “Imitation of Life,” marking it with a level of familiarity that makes it this Minneapolis band's most accessible outing. (HINT: Avenpitch is very generous with its MP3s. Download a 10-track ZIP file here.)

9. Rivers Cuomo - "Don't Worry Baby" [Beach Boys cover]
If you've never read the booklet that accompanies "Alone II," I highly recommend it. You'll learn a lot about the (somewhat misunderstood) genius of the Weezer frontman.

10. The Apples in Stereo - "Same Old Drag"
On a totally unrelated note, I'm totally excited about Amy Poehler's new show, "Parks and Recreation."I suppose, pretentiously speaking, this song's title and contrarily upbeat (and, ultimately, ELO-worthy) tunefulness is kind of a pitch-perfect match for a comedy about mundane small-town government. Yadig?

No?

Don't really blame you, I suppose.

11. The Byrds - "Nothing was Delivered" [Bob Dylan cover]
Simply speaking -- it's about time, right? -- this song is pure joy.

12. Elliott Smith - "Southern Belle"
Remember when this late great became a semi-household name after the success of "Good Will Hunting"? I'm glad he got that break.

13. Giant Sand - "Increment of Love"
After hearing this "Lost Highway"-worthy lurker, I'm a little upset I missed these guys opening up for Neko Case at the College of St. Scholastica here in Duluth. (HINT: Download "El Paso/Out on the Weekend" here.)

14. The Faint - "Paranoiattack"
While I kind of feel like the douche-y boyfriend in "United States of Tara" listening to this, I can't help it: I like it. A lot. (HINT: Be like me. Free MP3s here.)

15. Goldfrapp - "Twist" [Single Mix]
Perhaps what U2 was going for on "Pop," though no one else heard that album the way I did, I'm sure.

16. The Streets - "Don't Mug Yourself" [Mr. Figit Remix]
An improvement on the original, I must admit. (On a sidenote: Mr. Figit should hook up with Lady Sovereign. Would be fantastical.)

17. Cursive - "Dispenser"
For fans of Nothing Jive About Jupiter/reru/anything else Damon Kalar has had a hand in.

(HINT: Cursive's new album, "Mama, I'm Swollen," comes out early next month. Get your pre-order on at the Saddle Creek shop.)

(Bonus HINT: Saddle Creek's main Web site has a plethora of free Cursive downloads for your downloading-on-a-budget enjoyment.)

18. The M's - "Underground"
Like a psychedelic pennywheel, this imaginative tour de force requires a full spin or two for its true power to expose itself. But then, and only then, you're hooked for life. (p.s. Download two of this band's other tracks here.)

19. Grnd Ntl Brnds - "Comforting the Lonely"
This is the oral equivalent of the indefensible statement "Sometimes I wish I had a stalker." (Hey, I didn't write it!)

20. The Concretes - "Diana Ross"
Speaking of this former Supreme, I found myself enjoying her 1980 hit "I'm Coming Out" the other day. This is much more introspective than that pop bullet, but ... both are welcome in my house, I guess. (I really have no idea how to end that sentence....)

21. The Cardinal Sin - "A Clean Break"
Featuring members of Cadillac Blindside, Song of Zarathustra ("Science Science") and the Crush, this band that I thought came as if out of nowhere sure proved me wrong. Never heard of 'em? Download some free MP3s here. Fans of Submerge and Motion City Soundtrack will smile when they hear what's up.

22. Number One Cup - "She Plays the Numbers"
Gambling away the golden years? Oh, grandma.

23. "Team America" soundtrack - "America, F--- Yeah!"
Best "f--- yeah"? "Bed Bath & Beyond"!

Thus concludes your fortieth dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series formerly known as "Don't Tell a Soul."

No comments: