Sunday, November 9, 2008

sys32 :: HERE'S LOOKING AT YOU, FISH-BULB


"Suffering" through an hour-and-a-half-long power outage really puts your priorities in perspective....

1. The White Stripes - "Jimmy the Exploder"
Surprisingly, googling "famous people who have exploded" doesn't yield any results of the Spinal Tap manner.

2. Oranges Band - "Wild Ride"
"I got out my little black book / I told a little white lie." Surf-tinged post-punk deception has never sounded so ... danceable?

3. Tim DeLaughter and the Polyphonic Spree - "Debate Montage (Courtesy of Tripping Daisy)"
I know Tim was the mastermind behind Tripping Daisy, but I don't quite get what this absorbing instrumental's title is referring to. I assume he just enlisted the Spree to revisit some Tripping Daisy material, but I don't recognize the song.

4. Brother Ali - "The Trap"
I was about to include Brother Ali's Obama song, "Mr. President (You're the Man)" [DOWNLOAD IT HERE!] on this mix tape, but "The Trap," in all of its Roots-sampling glory, just called out to me. Since it's somewhat of a rarity, I really hope me putting it on every other mix tape gets the point across: This is quintessential hip-hop.

5. The Melismatics - "Useless Generation"
Well, let's see what *nudge nudge* the Duluth Budgeteer had to say about this anthemic track: “Useless Generation” is a perversely disconcerting experience, with the Melismatics cramming at least four decades of rock hits into a song that’s less than three minutes long.

6. Prince feat. Murs - "Kiss [Remix by DJ Z-Trip]" [MP3]
If you thought Slug and Murs sounded great together, make sure to take advantage of this illegal art before Paisley Park shuts Z-Trip down.

7. LadyHawke - "Another Runaway"
God, I miss the '80s.

8. Tokyo Police Club - "New New Song" [MP3]
With this gorgeous track, I'm finally starting to come around to the much-hyped TPC sound. Here's what frontman Dave Monks had to say about "New New Song" in an exclusive Stereogum interview: "The song is one of the only songs I wrote about an actual person and actually feeling shitty. Most of my lyrics come from narratives that I think up so I treated this one with a whimsical perspective. As for that lyric in particular, I was thinking about the book [Roald Dahl's] The BFG and how the giant kept lots dreams in bottles on his shelf."

9. R.E.M. - "Red Head Walking"
R.E.M. leans (hard) on surf atmospherics for this worthy "Accelerate" B-side (found on the accompanying DVD, "6 Days," and, if I'm not mistaken, most digital versions of the must-have album).

10. Of Montreal - "An Eluardian Instance"
Again, Elephant 6 all-stars Of Montreal never cease to amaze.

11. The Standard - "Sunday Eyes"
Rock is dead? Not for fans of the Standard or, look out below, Victory Ship.

12. Queen - "Spread Your Wings"
I hate to pimp out my awesome mix tapes, but it's bound to happen from time to time: Are y'all on board with the Amazon MP3 store yet? Every day Amazon features a complete album for cheap. While today's selection, Janet Jackson's "Control," doesn't have me bustin' out the plastic, Queen's "News of the World" for two bucks the other day sure did.

13. Mighty Fairly - "Shadow"
Oh, hey, time for another shameless Budgeteer Plug. Here's what I (yeah, secret's out...) wrote about this particular track: The tracks I mentioned earlier are great, but they don’t compare to the downright pop perfection of “Close” and “Shadow.” The former, a carbon copy of Splitsville in its Burt Bacharach-worshiping heyday … and the latter? Well, let’s just say these four Minneapolis kids are blessed with a talent that’s beyond comparison. [Need proof? Download some Mighty Fairly tracks here.]

14. Victory Ship - "Won't Let Go"
Oh, wait, one more straight from the music geek's mouth/pen: Whether or not you knew Victory Ship when they were known as the Teeth is inconsequential: “Before the Fall” is impossibly good for a debut record. Straight-up rock ‘n’ roll hasn’t sounded this necessary in years.

15. Janove Ottesen - "Garbage Man"
This guy's the new Sondre Lerche -- not that Lerche is going anywhere soon (I hope)....

16. Run Run Run - "Fade Into You [DJ Z-Trip Remix]" [Mazzy Star cover] [MP3]
"Fade Into You" without Hope Sandoval? It's possible. (In other news, did you know "So Tonight That I Might See" turned 15 on September 7? Unbelievable!)

17. Travis - "J. Smith" [MP3]
If you think about, Travis is quite possibly the definition of "workhorse."

18. Swiss Kiss - "Lickity Split" [MP3]
I love the Internet. I only stumbled upon these guys when a Download.com search came back negative for ... I have no idea what I could've been searching for. Anyway, this is rambunctious alt-rock for anyone out there in the *sarcastic-quote marks mode on* "blogosphere." Highly recommended.

19. The Plasticines - "Alchimie"
A French Elastica? Our prayers have been answered. (I realize that might've come across as sarcastic, but I assure it wasn't intended to. I love, love, love Elastica. And France. And *ahem* the gorgeous Parisians in the Plasticines.)

20. Yo Majesty - "Booty Klap"
I'm a whore -- another "nugget" from yours truly courtesy of the Budge: ... The track most people will probably seek out first [on "Futuristically Speaking ... Never Be Afraid"] is “Booty Klap,” as it was produced and co-written by the legendary house duo Basement Jaxx. And, as far as Basement Jaxx material goes, this is the gold standard; the Yo Majesty ladies really brought out the best of Felix Buxton and Simon Ratcliffe. It’s a pummeling tour de force, not unlike “Cish Cash,” the British duo’s intensely catchy 2003 collaboration with Siouxsie Sioux.

21. Michna - "Triple Chrome Dipped" [MP3]
A great Aphex Twin-aping song to ... wash dishes to?

22. Tim Fite - "RAW"
This entertaining nod to Ol' Dirty Bastard's "Shimmy Shimmy Ya" appeared as one of the free Halloween downloads on Fite's site. Actually reminds me of the time Kritical Kontact's emcees joined Number One Common onstage at Norm's to do a cover of the immortal ODB track.

23. Danzig - "I Don't Mind the Pain"
... And I don't mind the Danzig. Sincerely.

24. The Smiths - "Shakespeare's Sister"
To celebrate the release of the new Smiths retrospective "The Sound of the Smiths" Tuesday, Rhino is hosting an online "listening party" to help the uninitiatied familiarize themselves with the legendary group. Click it.

25. The Pixies - "Ana" [Live on the BBC, Aug, 18, 1990]
A classic in every sense.

Thus concludes your thirty-second dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series formerly known as "Don't Tell a Soul."

No comments: