Monday, November 3, 2008

sys30 :: GHOSTS CROWD THE FRAGILE EGGSHELL MIND


For the most part, today's selections come from artists I've largely neglected in recent (read: the last 45 or so) mix tapes. My apologies.

1. Pig - "Serial Killer Thriller"
This terrifying KMFDM-related slice of industrial mayhem was illegally used to score the opening scene of my first/only film, "Xenophobia: Some Bloody Bastard is Killing the Germans in America." Like my favorite director, I did have a cameo; though I probably should've learned something from him and made it a little more subtle....

2. The Traveling Wilburys - "Handle with Care"
Also used illegally in said film. No worries, though, this was used for a lighthearted romp-in-the-sack type of scene.

3. The Cure - "The End of the World"
"Go / If you want to."

4. Clem Snide - "End of Love"
Officially my favorite new band.* Second place? Mighty Fairly. -> Glad you asked!

5. Aphex Twin - "Windowlicker"
So epic and so freshman year at the University of Minnesota Duluth. <- I just found out today during a phone interview with Haley Bonar that my year at UMD, 2001-2002, was also the only year she attended there. (And, speaking of UMD, it should probably be mentioned that none other than Hillary Clinton visited today!)

6. Moby - "Feeling So Real"
I have many good memories attached to this gorgeous track, but none more fond than near the Big Sandy Lake fire tower outside of McGregor, Minn., circa autumn 2000. Like most stories I share, you probably had to be there.

7. KMFDM - "Anarchy"
I know this adds nothing to your enjoyment of this industrial rock staple, but I'm pretty sure I bought the "Signs" album at the Mall of America before I was even old enough to drive. That dates me ... and for what?! (Har har f------ har....)

8. M.I.A. - "Galang"
Before M.I.A. was a pop star (and subsequently retired from making music altogether), she used to collaborate with some really terrific and original artists, like Elastica's Justine Frischmann on this early favorite.

9. Cypress Hill - "Another Victory"
Since I referenced Cypress Hill's "Skull & Bones" double album (the "Skull" disc, in particular) so liberally in my review of Cannon All American's ill-fated "DCC Reloaded," I thought I should at least throw the group a bone (er...) and honor this bombastic track.

10. Faith No More - "Surprise! You're Dead!"
Surprise! This is featured in "Gremlins 2: The New Batch"!

11. Atmosphere - "Bam"
For whatever reason, my wife doesn't appreciate when I serenade her with this track's best line, "Just another face from the south side." No love for MPLS, I suppose.

12. Elastica - "Generator"
Speaking of the supreme genius of Elastica, post-punk doesn't get much more exciting than this.

13. Badfinger (f/k/a The Iveys) - "Arthur"
One of the best bonus tracks of all time. This spectacular song from the group's original incarnation (The Iveys) is, to the best of my knowledge, only available on the CD edition of "Magic Christian Music."

14. Green Day - "Pulling Teeth"
The other day at work, my coworker and I were designing the paper when we decided to take a trip back to 1994 (Feb. 1, to be exact). And guess what? I liked it.

15. David Bowie - "Some Are"
Like "Arthur," another rarely heard treat from the past: This Bowie track was recorded during the "Low" sessions but didn't find its way into the marketplace until Rykodisc issued that album on CD in the early '90s. (The song was subsequently dropped from the album when it came time for its 1999 digital-remaster facelift on Virgin, so use the Internet wisely kids.)

16. Blur - "Battle"
A nice compliment to "Some Are," this odyssey of a Blur track is all at once earth-shaking and disquieting.

17. R.E.M. - "Hollow Man"
Michael Stipe knows when NOT to mess with success.

18. Cave In - "Rubber and Glue"
A staple of my old college show/original mix tape series, "Don't Tell a Soul."

19. The Milwaukees - "Thinking Like a Genius"
A random track I encountered on my computer. Like Hum mixed with big dumb rock. Strange, but listenable.

20. Dredg - "Convalescent"
Recorded at Skywalker Ranch -- how cool is that? On second thought, don't answer that....

21. The Doors - "Peace Frog"
Note to self: Convince Andy Perfetti to have one of his 5 million bands cover this.

*Of the moment. This title officially switches hands on a daily basis.

Thus concludes your thirtieth dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series formerly known as "Don't Tell a Soul."

No comments: