Sunday, May 20, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 26: Sit straight, smile, shut your mouth

Ladies and gentlemen, my latest awesome mix tape.* (I'm at a loss for words this week, so I'm trying something a little different with this mix tape. ... Excuse me: awesome mix tape.)

1. The Old Soul - "Nectar of the Nitwit"
Recommended if you like the Avalanches (sans samples) and songs that make you bounce off the walls -- magnificently orchestrated by some cheeky bastards, no less.

2. BS 2000 - "It Feels like ?!@#?!"
R.I.Y.L. Money Mark's fun-loving, experimental side and/or the Beastie Boys' *ahem* fun-loving, experimental side. (BS 2000 is actually Beastie Adam "Adrock" Horovitz with Amery "AWOL" Smith.)

3. Faunts - "Memories of Places We've Never Been"
R.I.Y.L. Fleetwood Mac during its late-'70s peak, Midlake.

4. Fleetwood Mac - "Not that Funny"
R.I.Y.L. No. 3's R.I.Y.L.

5. Servotron - "Electric Avenue" (Eddy Grant cover)
R.I.Y.L. Eddy Grant's impeccable original, "MST3K," robots (that just happen to be on fire).

6. Har Mar Superstar - "Sex Tape"
R.I.Y.L. Prince at his lewdest and crudest.

7. Joe Jackson - "I'm the Man"
R.I.Y.L. misogyny (kidding ... totally kidding), Elvis Costello's debut.

8. The Blow - "Hock It (YACHT remix)"
R.I.Y.L. dance parties, IDM.

9. The Loungs - "Throughout it All"
R.I.Y.L. long walks on the beach, hay fever (?).

10. Fuck - "No Longer Whistler's Dream Date"
R.I.Y.L. bands with the sand to name themselves "Fuck."

11. Electric Light Orchestra - "Mr. Blue Sky"
R.I.Y.L. to consider Jeff Lynne your "almighty."

12. Pearl Jam - "Not for You"
R.I.Y.L. lost highways, lonesome nights and shimmering moonbeams shifting between swaying pine trees. Oh, and shadows.

Yeah, shadows....

13. The Actual - "This is the First Day of My Life"
R.I.Y.L. big, dumb rock and "Guitar Hero."

14. Cotton Mather - "Payday"
R.I.Y.L. Redd Kross, Jellyfish.

15. Miracle Fortress - "Have You Seen in Your Dreams?"
R.I.Y.L. rock bands floating around on clouds, immense doses of wormwood.

16. Camera Obscura - "Alaska"
R.I.Y.L. Low's "The Great Destroyer" (with a sprinkle of sunshine), states that aren't "contiguous."

17. The Whitsundays - "It Must be Me"
R.I.Y.L. the Beach Boys' "Smile" sessions, Herman's Hermits.

18. All Smiles - "Moth in a Cloud of Smoke"
R.I.Y.L. resting assured that at least one member of Grandaddy is still turning recorded sound into magic post-breakup. (All Smiles is pretty much just Jim Fairchild left alone with his surprisingly romantic thoughts -- with a few indie rock royalty guest shots thrown in for good measure.)

19. Grandaddy - "Chartsengrafs"
R.I.Y.L. perfection.

20. Supergrass - "Richard III"
R.I.Y.L. the days when "120 Minutes" was king.

21. David & the Citizens - "Now She Sleeps in a Box in the Good Soil of Denmark"
R.I.Y.L. dudes who would make horrible librarians, fierce acoustic strumming, knots in your stomach, a general feeling of uneasiness.

22. Mark Mallman - "Nights of Devastation"
R.I.Y.L. Roy Orbison, the AM dial ... after midnight. (No?)

23. Oasis - "All Around the World (reprise)"
R.I.Y.L. Oasis' "All Around the World," the commercials of telecommunication supergiants.

*As always, links denote a free, artist-sanctioned MP3 of the song. (At least they were free when I published this puppy.)

No comments: