Friday, May 4, 2007

Don't Tell a Soul, Vol. 25

Can you believe my awesome mix tape series has yielded 25 tubular installments?

Me.

Neither.

But the more pressing question is this: Can you believe I actually enjoy doing this with my free time?!

1. David Bowie - "Modern Love"
This song never fails to get me "movin'" -- you know, doing some sort of "choo choo" herky-jerky dance that really makes my wife question her vows.

Then again, I'm happy, so consequences be damned!

2. The Russian Futurists - "Paul Simon"
Alas, the bombastic sound of triumph.

3. The Frames - "God Bless Mom"
I'm not a terribly religious man, but a damn fine message nonetheless.

4. Pearl Jam - "Habit"
Hey, remember the '90s, when PJ's rockers didn't sound so ... calculated?

5. New Order - "Temptation"
If anything, this song should be longer. (Love it to death.)

6. Butterglory - "She's Got the Akshun!"
If you jumped for joy whenever Pavement released a radio-friendly pop nugget, it's time to get back your trampoline.*

7. Coloured Balls - "Flash"
While a great many of my "Guitar Hero III" suggestions would probably warrant the PBRs inevitably thrown at some sad, sappy sucker's friend's set, this one might actually work. Sure, they spell "colored" the pretentious Brit way, but this group was from Australia -- aka "a full island of joyous Brit criminals ... yay!" (Don't believe me? The CBs were skinheads, through and through.)

Enjoyable '70s guitar rock regardless.

8. Dntel feat. Jenny Lewis - "Roll On"
I think I made my feelings known well enough here, but I'll reiterate: I (HEART) -- like so many female singers before her -- Jenny Lewis.

Almost enough to make me want to move to L.A.

No, you're right; I take that back.

(p.s. Did you know she was born in Vegas? Weird, I thought that was a city people only moved to.)

9. Midlake - "Head Home"
The next best thing to "The Mac's" mellow highs.

10. Sir Salvatore - "Hooray this Projector"
Wow, what a find -- thanks, Idolator!

11. American Analog Set - "The Green Green Grass"
I think the review on eMusic said something to the effect of "This would be an ideal song for hawking Saturns."

Good.

Call.

Brother.

(FYI: That means it's safe for girlfriends and grammas alike.)

12. Storyhill - "One Toke Over the Line" (Brewer & Shipley cover)
I desperately want to make love to this song ... err, I mean ... is it just me, or does listening to this kind of make you feel like you're in some sort of religious cult?

I mean no disrespect to the almighty Storyhill, but their cover is even more joyful than the joyful-to-all-hell original.

Yadig?

You don't dig....

13. Sonic Youth - "Sleepin Around"
If you can get past the annoying (and unnecessary) feedback in the beginning, this is quite an enjoyable number. -> You must understand, I jumped on the Sonic Youth bandwagon at "Dirty," so I prefer the "pleasant" side of the feedback kings (and queen).

14. Polytechnic - "PEP"
I've never been that great with acronyms (although WYSIWYG was somewhat of a no-brainer), but that little piece of trivia -- in no way -- should affect how much joy you derive from this upbeat, all-too-brief handclapper.

15. Fischerspooner - "The 15th" (Wire cover)
Sorry to say, Wire, but your songs just sound better when other people are playing them.

Especially when those other people are in Elastica.

A HA HA ROTFLMFAO

Giggles aside, 'Spooner's pretty damn tight as a Wire replacement, too.

16. Olivia Tremor Control - "Fireplace"
I'm not gonna lie -- not enough benefits for doing so, to be honest -- but I think this overlooked gem somehow influenced the Blue Man Group when they recorded "Up to the Roof."

There. I said it. Now the world has to live with this "inconvenient truth."

Or half-truth.

17. !!! - "Must Be the Moon"
This is funky.

And a little scary. (Like a less "kid-centric" Junior Senior.)

Again, not gonna lie.

18. Future Clouds and Radar - "You Will Be Loved"
Of course I would endorse this band. It's practically a modern-day Britpop-meets-ELO concoction, and -- no matter how you describe it -- it's a formula that works.

Like I've always said, "Beam me up, Jeff Lynne."

No?

Time to retire, you say?

19. Dancing Hoods - "Baby's Got Rockets"
If you weren't totally opposed to the Soul Asylum album "Let Your Dim Light Shine," I think you might enjoy this lost-in-the-'80s track from the group that would eventually spawn Sparklehorse -- via member Mark Linkous, that is.

20. Acme - "Stay, Don't Go"
Who knew "Minnesoter" indie pop could be so jangly? I won't mix words: I very much appreciate this song. (It was quite a find on the dismal MNArtists.org comp "The Music of Here. Now.")

*Unabashedly corny as hell, and that's exactly why I'm not quitting my day job.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew:

Any idea where I could find an mp3 of Baby's Got Rockets?

Cheers,
John

Matthew R. Perrine said...

Why yes I do!