Tuesday, April 27, 2010

sys71 :: THESE PEEPS MARSHMALLOW CHICKS MAKE ME FEEL LIKE I'M ON THIS MIX TAPE


Submitted for the approval of the Mix Tape Appreciation Society, I humbly present ... "These Peeps Marshmallow Chicks Make Me Feel Like I'm on This Mix Tape":










1. Liz Phair - "Chopsticks"

For fans of sellouts (before the big payout), story-songs and sexually explicit imagery.

2. The Features - "Drawing Board"
For fans of bombastic pop anthems, good times and unabashed sugar highs.

3. Sublime - "Same in the End"
For fans of ... really, it's 2010 and you still don't know what Sublime sounds like?

Is it just me, or this version not that different from the "Boyz" M.I.A. released on her own? Perhaps it's just been too long since I've heard the original.

The next Kanye West? Let's hope so; I miss the expectation-free musical stylings found on 2004's monumental "The College Dropout."

6. Drew Danburry - "Optimus Prime is Dead"
... and this former Danburrys member lets us know in an inoffensive, slightly barbershop-quartet way.

7. The Impossibles - "So Much"
One of the most exciting ska-punk songs ever recorded. Ever.

Long live the Impossibles!

8. Bear in Heaven - "Wholehearted Mess"
Old-school Modest Mouse meets IDM. (Hear that, Danecdote?) Very cool.

An uncanny musical performance.

... Just download it already!

10. The Devil Makes Three - "All Hail"
So good it was featured as one of my Songs of the Week on the Budgeteer's website.

11. Trampled by Turtles - "Sounds Like a Movie"
Fiery bluegrass action straight outta Duluth, "Minnesnowta." Written by the group's banjo guru, Dave Carroll (also of Two Many Banjos fame).

12. Murray Head - "One Night in Bangkok"
My lady and I stumbled upon this nearly-lost '80s gem while jamming to some late-night Sirius satellite radio action on Highway 61. It is well worth seeking out if you adore synth-heavy anthems as much as I do.

13. Lifter Puller - "Touch My Stuff"
My not-so-humble introduction to one of the greatest bands of all time.

14. fun. - "All the Pretty Girls" (Live at Fingerprints)
Released in celebration of this year's recent Record Store Day, the acoustically inclined "Live at Fingerprints" EP from this offshoot of the Format is truly a must-have gem.

And how did you spend the '90s?

16. David Bazan - "How I Remember" (Live at Electrical Audio)
Another Record Store Day release. I love it!

For fans of the Very Best (see above), the bedroom composers behind the Russian Futurists and I, Colossus and Norman Cook's thoroughly enjoyable set of collaborations as the Brighton Port Authority.

18. Zeus - "Marching Through Your Head"
Thoroughly enjoyable indie rock.


Zeus "Marching Through Your Head" from Alan Poon on Vimeo.

19. Everclear - "Here Comes the Darkness"
If only all contemporary adult ballads sounded this polished....

20. Greg Laswell - "Around the Bend" [FREE MP3]
Enjoy!

  

    

    

    

    

    

  


21. Nada Surf - "Question" (Moody Blues cover)
I know it'll never be cool to admit this, but I absolutely love the Moody Blues' original. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Nada Surf!

22. Mad Trucker Gone Mad - "Boxa Wine"
Even before I found out how incredibly entertaining this Madison psychobilly group's frontman is (read my interview with Del Monte Carlo), I found this track to be a rollicking good time.

23. Clem Snide - "Walmart Parking Lot"
Like a good novelist, Eef Barzelay finds meaning in everything everywhere.

24. Equal Xchange feat. Kathy McTavish - "All on You"
Twin Ports hip-hop + cellodreams' principal player = one outstanding collaboration! Now, for a brief history on this track, read "Equal Xchange's Rain Elfvin Shares the Love."



Thus concludes your seventy-first dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series formerly known as "Don't Tell a Soul." I hope you enjoyed yourself!

No comments: