Wednesday, December 24, 2008

sys35 :: HEAD. CARPET. SEW.


Now that all those pesky year-end lists are almost complete, I can finally return to my awesome mix tape series -- hallelujah!

1. Alva Star - "Victorian"
With the release of his self-titled solo debut in '98, Storyhill folkie John Hermanson launched the second phase of his career: power pop star. With Alva Star and the (Olympic) Hopefuls, he continues that trend. This is one of the most infectious tracks I've ever heard -- like Supergrass "Never Done Nothing Like That Before" good -- and that's saying a lot!

2. Jonny Polonsky - "Half Mind"
Similarly, this Frank Black-produced track is guaranteed to blow your mind. Space-y and radio-ready all at once.

3. The Streets - "The Sherry End"
As I might've said earlier, some clear standouts from "Everything is Borrowed" are “Heaven for the Weather,” “The Strongest Person I Know” (which, like “Alleged Legends,” features the tragically underappreciated singer/songwriter Ed Harcourt) and this gem, an undeniably catchy track that’s punctuated by trumpet and saxophone fills.

4. Coldplay - "Postcards from Far Away"
I usually can't stand this band, but I thought I'd give them another chance because my grandma in Florida likes them so much -- and, what do you know, I can stand this short 'n' sweet instrumental EP offering. Kind of relaxing.

5. Dr. Pepper Family - "Poster"
Forget Cleveland, Belgium rocks. (I know I should be ashamed of myself for comments like that, but I just can't help it: This band NEEDS to be heard by the masses.)

6. Anya Marina - "Vertigo"
A sweet little ditty from the unsuspecting chartreuse who's friends with Spoon's Britt Daniel and, oh yeah, got banned from an L.A. club for lyrics about licking a certain body part of hers clean. Yeah.... For a cute little girl like Anya, how rock and roll is that?!

7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Way Out"
Love it -- Karen O is a queen.

8. Eagles of Death Metal - "Cheap Thrills"
Never a dull moment with the *ahem* "Pigeons of Shit Metal." (Axl Rose is such an assclown.)

9. U2 - "Numb [The Soul Assassins Mix]"
Of all the hip-hop producers out there, Cypress Hill's DJ Muggs ranks right up there with Ant and DJ Abilities. Not a believer? Give this U2 treatment a spin. (p.s. Check out the nice collection of free MPs at SoulAssassins.com.)

10. Atmosphere - "The Things that Hate Us"
"As American as herpes and hot dogs." Ugh, Slug....

11. Kevin Tihista's Red Terror - "Pretty Please"
How I "won" my wife!

12. Ultimate Fakebook - "Inside Me, Inside You"
Reminds me of my Disc Go Round days. Good ol' Burning Tree Plaza.

13. The Tomorrowpeople - "Psyched by the 4-D Witch!"
Like a soundscape collaboration between Rob Zombie and Apollo 440.

14. Danzig - "Power of Darkness"
Quick, Danzig says there's a "snake between your legs" ... I need an old priest and a young priest!

15. Prong - "Innocence Gone"
"Rude Awakening" is one of those ultimate albums I couldn't imagine living without.

16. Ash - "Folk Song"
Like a lovely dream -- though, for whatever reason, it reminds me of the old Bargains Galore store in Moorhead. (It had pogs!)

17. Jon Auer - "These Times"
Posies dude strikes out on his own and makes a record that sounds ... exactly like the Posies. No complaints here, though, as I rather enjoy those Bellingham dudes.

18. Victory Ship - "I Can Pretend"
Thanks again to Walt Dizzo for letting me co-host the "Best of 2008" program on his KUWS radio show -> where I played one of this Twin Cities group's unpretentious rollers.

19. XTC - "I Bought Myself a Liarbird"
I know have no f------ idea what this song is about, but I like it!

20. Lindsey Buckingham - "Holiday Road"
Ahh, yes, good times; I recently revisited "Vacation" and I have a newfound appreciation for this uber-catchy song from the Mac man.

21. Little Joy - "Keep Me in Mind"
A Strokes side project that is both A) really catchy and B) pretty Strokes-y. At least this track, for the others I heard were a little more adventurous.

22. Riverboat Gamblers - "Don't Jinx"
Intense. Hyper. Enjoyable.

23. The Stereo - "Devotion"
Same here, but much more refined. Jamie Woolford is a golden god -- as is Rory Allen Phillips.

24. Stiff Little Fingers - "Guitar and Drum"
"Is this the new Green Day song?"

25. The Police - "Can't Stand Losing You"
I used to make fun of Sting fans, but, man, back in the day he sure was something.

Thus concludes your thirty-fifth dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series formerly known as "Don't Tell a Soul."

No comments: