Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Mix Tape Appreciation Society No. 6 :: ONLY SO MANY ALBUMS IN THE DAY


I made this mix tape for you ... AND YOU ALONE!



1. The Winebirds - "I Obscenity in Thy Mother's Milk"
From my review of "Séance Hill,” the Portland group's new(est) album, : This title track is just bursting with nervous autumn energy.

2. Motion City Soundtrack - "Boombox Generation"
I missed it by a few years, but "big ups" to those born in the early years of Generation Y: aka the headphone generation.

From the Minnesota group's latest opus, "Light Chasers," a "56-minute journey with no audio breaks that explores love and loss and searches for the light at the end of the tunnel." (Yes, that was me "biting" the official press release for the album, but, really, I couldn't have explained what it was about without the help.)

Forget what you know about math. One-half of the Posies' uncanny songwriting team does not equate to half the thrills. Not even close. This is tremendous, tremendous music.

5. Emot - "Cheapskate"
Doesn't it suck when you're labeled this and you're actually just poor? No fun.

My guess is that this isn't about North Dakota's famed Red River of the North (as it flows northward), but, then again, I've never been that adept at understanding what songs are actually about.

Truth be told: I prefer to mold songs to fit my life experiences. Isn't that the best way to enjoy records, anyway?

7. Brand New - "Magazines"
My interest in this group was first piqued when I was waiting for my Amtrak train in Chicago. Killing time, I checked out the attached mall-type-thing's overpriced record store. This band's debut, "Your Favorite Weapon," was in the "best sellers" section of the store. I assumed they were local, as I had never heard of the group before and ... I just realized how boring I must appear to my woman, my friends, my family and, among others, the blog-perusing world at large.

Regardless, I like this track.

8. Grant Hart - "Let Rosemary Rock Him, Laura-Louise"
A bizarre little intro before ...

... the much-vaunted return of Minneapolis' resident hitmakers!

10. Lazerbeak - "Legend Recognize Legend"
As I still haven't received my copy of the former Plastic Constellations member's solo debut (!) in the mail, I thought I'd pull up the Doomtree-minded (his new crew) track he named it after.

You can't tell me you're not excited:


Lazerbeak "Legend Recognize Legend" Album Promo from Doomtree Records on Vimeo.

I was in Minneapolis over the weekend. The Current sure seems to like this group.

Unbelievably, this Minneapolis singer (real name: Krysta Rayford) makes music that sounds like Ms. Dynamite backed by the Avalanches.

13. George Harrison - "I Live for You"
Speaking of The Current (and I selected these tracks before heading down to the Cities, mind you), one of the station's DJs introduced a track from "All Things Must Pass" by saying it was the best Beatles solo album. I couldn't agree more ... it's as if that station was made explicitly for me.

14. Bliss - "The Melody"
One of half of Modern Gentlemen, who recently sat down with me for a Budgeteer interview. This is some catchy hip-hop for the summertime (which, yes, I realize is dying a quick death 'round here).

15. Jellyfish - "Now She Knows She's Wrong"
I guess I've never fully admitted to myself that at least half of the bands I wholeheartedly adore probably listened to Jellyfish records growing up the way I listened to Pearl Jam records. I'm looking at you, Matt Mahaffey of Self, in particular.

16. Head Like a Kite - "Noisy at the Circus"
Yes, you do recognize that voice: It's Asy from Smoosh. Love those girls!

17. Brothers Young - "Would You Land"
This lead dude's a bit of a downer, no? Nice slithering sound though.

18. J Church - "She Says"
R.I.P. Lance Hahn.

One of the most innovative groups out there. And they show no sign of slowing. Like Muse (on a level of grandiose-ness), but far less pretentious.

Sleater-Kinney frontwoman rocks out by herself. Good stuff.

21. Kings of Leon - "Joe's Head"
Despite letting their fans down earlier this year in St. Louis, there is still much to love here.

Another boring-ass story from old-as-shit me: My Nintendo-sponsored (it's true) trip to Seattle in college was rendered even more unforgettable after popping a few Minus the Bear tracks into the player. There is something to be said about hometown heroes.

23. The Jayhawks - "Real Light"
From "Tomorrow the Green Grass," the last album to feature founding member Mark Olson, who is playing in Duluth later tonight a few blocks away and *ahem* was recently interviewed by me. That was truly a trip.

24. Wilco - "Passenger Side"
"You're gonna make me spill my beer / If you don't learn how to steer." ... Can this even be considered semi-responsible songwriting? 



Even though he hasn't had a regular radio gig since he was the program manager at Thunder Web Radio (now KDSU) in Fargo, Budgeteer editor Matthew R. Perrine likes to make mix tapes like he's going to play them on the air someday. This here Mix Tape Appreciation Society is a continuation of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series formerly known as "Don't Tell a Soul." Enjoy!

No comments: