Wednesday, September 9, 2009

sys59 :: MAY BEARS EAT EARTH'S SCUM


I really have to ease myself back into this "game." I actually "composed" the bulk of this mix tape back in July, so I don't really know what I was going for anymore. Anyway, without further ado, here's another batch of songs for no one....

1. No Wait Wait - "The Bull's Horns"
Marc Gartman, golden god, strikes again.

2. Sims - "Key Grip (Fax)"
As much as I love Rhymesayers Entertainment, I think Doomtree Records has a better track record. (Though, confusingly, I bought this through Rhymesayers' record store, Fifth Element....)

3. Matt & Kim - "I Wanna"
The aural equivalent of eating "diabetes in a tube." ha ha ha

4. Ed Hale - "Ballad on Third Avenue ("Beautiful Losers)"
This one gives me a peaceful, easy feeling. And, yes, I would consider myself a beautiful loser. Me and Bob Seger, baby!

5. The Format - "Let's Make This Moment a Crime"
I'm not normally about risking my job to break the law or whatever, but I think the way referenced in this song is A-OK. At least I think I understand what's going on here....

6. The Beatles - "And Your Bird Can Sing"
In honor of this monumental day, I'd like to direct you to Chuck Klosterman's latest masterpiece (yes, it's about the Beatles).

7. Coconut Records - "Microphone"
It's nice to see Jason Schwartzman, former Phantom Planet drummer/so-so actor, back making music. The Fab Four (and *ahem* Pavement/S.M.) would be so proud of this lucky No. 1.

8. Black Gold - "Idols"
This is one of those records that just keeps coming back to you. I recommend you seek Black Gold out.

9. Great Lake Swimmers - "She Comes to Me in Dreams"
I want to make a joke incorporating my girl from the North Country and how I'd swim to her hamlet, but ... no. Just can't do it here. Don't want anyone to puke in their mouth. (LOL)

10. We Were Promised Jetpacks - "Ships with Holes Will Sink"
Sweetest band name ever and, lucky for us, the song ain't too shabby either.

11. Cloud Cult - "Shape of 8"
Please, God, pass on my message to Craig Minowa that he needs to play this fiery track at River Falls Friday night when Cloud Cult takes the stage!

12. Passion Pit - "Moth's Wings"
All of a sudden Passion Pit is one of those really-obnoxiously-buzzed-about bands. Thankfully I heard them before all that jazz so I can still enjoy them. (You think I'm joking? I am that goofy about my music.)

13. Jarvis Cocker - "Angela"
The opposite of orange juice ... get my meaning?

14. Brother Ali - "Original King"
Kind of a menacing track. Definitely would not want to take on Ali in a rap battle.

15. The Letter Y - "The Candy Cave"
Candy Mountain, Charlie!!!

16. King Khan and the Shrines - "Land of the Freak"
Like every other song King Khan has recorded. And that's just fine.

17. F.O.N. - "You Might Think" [Cars cover]
Kind of obnoxious (the ska intro), but kind of awesome (the rockin' middle half) too.

18. Reggie and the Full Effect - "E"
Not about my favorite pint-sized ninja, thankfully.

19. Jay Reatard - "Wounded"
Up with Jay!

20. Keygrip - "If I Could (You Know I Would)"
... Eat all your pluots? Yep.

21. Brendan Benson - "Feel Like Taking You Home"
I'd like to say working with Jack White was a death wish, but, come on, who could ever say no to a new song from everybody's favorite Brendan?

22. Blitzen Trapper - "Gold for Bread"
Another "Buzz Bin" act. But we won't hold that against them.

23. The Pixies - "Blown Away"
Unlike the Beatles, I'm not so sure I want to blow all my hard-earned money on this group's mammoth box set. I mean, I know they're my favorite band and all, but ... oh, who am I kidding? Of course I'd love to put it on my charge card, sir!

24. The Rural Alberta Advantage - "Don't Haunt This Place"
Really, really impressive stuff -- despite the apparent Great White North connection. (I kid, Canada, you know I love you!)

25. Little Black Books - "The Sponge"
Apparently Mark Lindquist had heard those rumors that Gartman had replaced him in my heart during his suddenly-a-father hiatus, because the Books are back and sounding better than ever. Probably too mellow for Giljunko hardliners, but everyone has to grow up sometime, right?

Thus concludes your fifty-ninth dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series formerly known as "Don't Tell a Soul."

No comments: