Wednesday, July 8, 2009

sys57 :: THE SLUMDOG BARKS


I wanna party with Steve Levine.



1. Reggie and the Full Effect - "What the Hell is Contempt?"
Recommended if you like the Get Up Kids, putting your fist through things.

2. Black Eyed Peas - "I Gotta Feeling"
R.I.Y.L. good times, a practically Fergie-free B.E.P.

3. Frank Black - "Freedom Rock"
R.I.Y.L. the Pixies (near the end), telling people with musical recommendations where to shove it. Oh, wait....

4. Fatboy Slim - "Fatboy Slim is F------ in Heaven" [Mixed live by the Avalanches]
R.I.Y.L. Aussies and Britons having a good time.

5. Scissor Sisters - "I Can't Decide"
R.I.Y.L. happy-happy-joy-joy songs that are actually quite sinister.

6. Better Than Ezra - "Absolutely Still"
R.I.Y.L. the fact that bands that keep on keepin' on -- instead of breaking up and making big deals about OK-now-we-need-money reunions -- are far more consistent with their output.

7. Dusty Rhodes and the River Band - "Blind Lead the Blind"
R.I.Y.L. the Format, younger groups with a lot of potential that hopefully they'll realize before burning out.

8. Jason Lytle - "Ghost of My Old Dog"
R.I.Y.L. Grandaddy, dudes that you want to go up to and say, "Dude, you're a f------ genius."

9. Rob Crow - "Over Your Heart"
R.I.Y.L. Pinback, Heavy Vegetable, Thingy, Goblic Cock and the 12 million other bands Rob Crow is in.

10. VHS or Beta - "You Got Me" [Edit]
R.I.Y.L. cool kids (actual cool kids and not the amazing hip-hop duo) and/or interesting fellers from Louisville who stop in at your office for an impromptu hour-long conversation about the Twin Ports' open-mic opportunities and, you know, life.

11. Cage - "Look at What You Did"
R.I.Y.L. the best Def Jux has to offer.

12. Psalm One - "Beat the Drum"
R.I.Y.L. M.I.A. but kind of wish she had more of a Midwestern sensibility. (Come on, I know there's two or three of you out there who actually understand this jibber-jabber....)

13. Fol Chen - "The Beautiful Ones" [Prince cover] [Free(ish) MP3!]
R.I.Y.L. the Purple One, making love to sweet memories. ("Eww..." is right! Rivers is a sick, sick man.)

14. Superdrag - "N.A. Kicker"
R.I.Y.L. kicking f------ ass.

15. Jimmy Eat World - "Feeling Lucky"
R.I.Y.L. talking about f------ feelings.

16. Damone - "Tonight"
R.I.Y.L. reliving your teenage years ... as a chick. (Ha!)

17. Stellastarr* - "People"
R.I.Y.L. the Pixies (near the middle).

18. Spiritualized - "Cheapster"
R.I.Y.L. Bob Dylan, before he found God -- and after he plugged in.

19. Elvis Costello - "Just About Glad"
R.I.Y.L. living legends.

20. Calexico - "Frank's Tavern" [Chris Gaffney cover]
R.I.Y.L. Giant Sand, all the nameless, faceless bands you wish you could spend more time on the South Shore with.

21. All Smiles - "Our Final Roles as Birds"
R.I.Y.L. Grandaddy, the George Harrisons of your favorite groups.

22. The Black Crowes - "Cosmic Friend"
R.I.Y.L. pills 'n' thrills and bellyaches.

Thus concludes your fifty-seventh dose of SHAKE*YOUR*SHORES, the awesome mix tape series formerly known as "Don't Tell a Soul."

No comments: